• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Marks Square, Market Street, Birmingham

LisaMaryCameron

knowlegable brummie
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there was a St Marks Square, Market Street.

We have an old marriage certificate and the address would appear to definately be Market Street and the bit before looks like St Marks Square. I know St Marks Chruch was in Ladywood bt I'm not aware of there being a Markt Street there. I wold have thought Market Street would have been down where the old Smithfield Market was?

Any info gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Lisa

What year are we talking about St Marks Square may have been around for a short time in the 1927 directory there are
St Marks St,
Market Place,
Market St, Upper, and new New,
Marl pit
ETC ETC ETC

it may be worth scanning the certificate for other to see,

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there was a St Marks Square, Market Street.

We have an old marriage certificate and the address would appear to definately be Market Street and the bit before looks like St Marks Square. I know St Marks Chruch was in Ladywood bt I'm not aware of there being a Markt Street there. I wold have thought Market Street would have been down where the old Smithfield Market was?

Any info gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Lisa

St Mark's Square was there in 1860. Joseph Hudson of the famous Acme Whistle Co. converted a washhouse there and
started making whistles for football referees. There were houses in St. Mark's Square as Joseph Hudson born 1848 lived in a two storey terrace
house in St. Mark's Square. Could have been near St. Paul's Square? .

Thanks Guys,

It was 1868 Samuel Cohen & Teresa Asher father Ezekiel Cohen a Tailor. I have Ashers & Cohens but these aren't actually mine it's a girl from the states. We might be related but no evidence as yet.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa
you do not seem too sure as to whether it is St Marks Square. I hopeI am not confusing matters , by saying that there was a Hick's Square at the junction of Market St (which was off Coleshill St) and Nova Scotia St. This is shown on the c1890 below and also on the Pigott smith 1828 map. Hick's Square is also listed in the 1868 Post Office directory

map_x_1890_market_st___Hicks_Square_.jpg

HI LISA
Are you connected to the mr and mrs cohen whom was the secretary of the birmingham syogoge in birmingham
as i am a old long friend of the cohens family whom live in edgbaston ;especialys sammuel and his wife and there daughter
whom live in edgbaston ; but i have not seen them or spoke at least four years with there daughter ;
are you or not a grand daughter to the sam whom used to live in elisebeth rd until sam died afew years back now i can only presume his wife may be passed away through age ;they was a sinere devoted couple ;
best wishes Astonian;;

In the 1870 directory there are 13 Cohen,s none are Tailors and 1 Asher both excluding the court part of the directory
of the Cohen,s they were merchant, Jeweller, American Merchant, tobacconist, clothes dealer, pawnbroker, watch manufacturer, Merchant, Commission merchant, factor, pawnbroker, carver & gilder, and a hardware dealer,

The lone Asher was hairdresser

Now in the the 1888 directory there are
Cohen Joseph tailor, 51 Granville St,
Cohen Joseph, tailor and draper, 66 and 71 Stafford St,
Cohen Micheal, tailor, 85 Benacre St,

St Mark's Square was there in 1860. Joseph Hudson of the famous Acme Whistle Co. converted a washhouse there and
started making whistles for football referees. There were houses in St. Mark's Square as Joseph Hudson born 1848 lived in a two storey terrace
house in St. Mark's Square. Could have been near St. Paul's Square? .

hi there
with reference to your reply regarding the cohens as jewelers they still are involved in one way or another even thou they have sold alot of there bussiness
such as kings heath and alum rock rd years ago some of the sibblings are married into the johnsons family now
whom there selves are main jeerlers around birminham city centre and out side the centre ;
sammy cohen ,s daughter is married to a johnsons the jewlers whom are a gret family and honest to the hilt i have known the cohens and the johnsons for
a decade or two ; yes they have really built there family up through honesty and pure hard work
so there family came over and worked there socks off 24 hours a day to get what they are today ;
i have not spoken to any of them for about four or five year now
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Mike,

You're brilliant! Thank you very much. Hick's Square fits perfectly with the squiggles :) The Market Street was very readable but the rest not.

Best Regards

Lisa

Hi there,

No I'm not directly realted I'm afraid. Judith Joseph has referred to them though when I have been researching but I don't know if their lineage overlaps mine or not.

Best Wishes

Lisa

Back