• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Margarets Chapel Great Barr

L

lydfordcastle

Can some kind soul please tell me where I can find, or perhaps could have found 'The Church in the Chapelry of Great Barr'. The church appears on a Gt Gt GT uncle's 1845 marriage certificate as the location of his wedding. This seems rather odd as both the bride and groom were born in and were then still resident in Walsall town centre and were baptised at and lived very close to St Matthews Church on the hill in the town. If it's any help the groom later became a Baptist Minister and emigrated to the USA in 1863 continuing his 'fire and brimstone' ministry in New Jersey.

Many thanks to you both for the responses. Louisa, I think you're right as the certificate mentions the church in the chapelry of Great Barr and at that time St Margarets was the only one. My newly found American cousins will be so excited to see the church where our ancestor was wed, even if it is only the tower and the spire remaining from that time.

Back