• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Lukes Church Bristol Street

V

vicala

Would anyone know where I might get a photo of the original St. Lukes Church, the one prior to 1901?
Thanks,
Vicala:)

Found this one from
St Luke's Bristol St circa 1885

Attachments

• Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes original church.JPG
    Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes original church.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think this was the original picture, but I have it saved.from somewhere

St_lukesA.jpg

Mike your photo is the original church that stood on the corner of Bristol St & St Lukes Rd from 1842 to 1899.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes 1842 - 1899.JPG
    Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes 1842 - 1899.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 6
Someone sent me this picture of St Luke's but it doesn't say whereabouts it is in Birmingham, any ideas.

ST LUKES CHURCH.jpg

I was at St Luke's School next door for a year in the 60s. That's gone now. I'm not sure that the church is still in use even though the RCOG sign is still there. It could just be that I've never been around at the time it's being used but it doesn't look like anyone is using it.

It look to me like that St Lukes church used to have a tower (or one was planned but not built), do anyone know anything about this?

This is how St Luke's looked originally from 1842 until 1899, it looks like a complete rebuild to me or perhaps it was only restyled at the front.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes 1842 - 1899.JPG
    Edgbaston Bristol St St Lukes 1842 - 1899.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 22
This is how St Luke's looked originally from 1842 until 1899, it looks like a complete rebuild to me or perhaps it was only restyled at the front.

Yes I have found out now, it was rebuilt around 1903, then the tower was removed at a later date because it had become unsafe.

st-lukes-church.jpg
There is also a St Lukes Church in Kingstanding. I know because I was married there. Have a nice day, Wallyb

In a previous life I did building maintenance work on both the St Luke's as mentioned in this thread. The one in Kingstanding is very pleasing architecturally for a modern church...and practical.

The then vicar of the Bristol Street St Luke's told me the tower was never finished as they had run out of money - not now but when it was built (rebuilt). It seems that the parishioners at that time were hoping to build their tower "taller than the tower on the church up the road": I have no idea which church he was referring to 'up the road' but he did nod in the direction of Five Ways/Broad Street Edgbaston

This article the Decaying Churches of Birmingham from the Birmingham Daily Post dated 5th November 1889 gives some information on why St Lukes had to be rebuilt.
St Lukes Bristol Street was built from soft red sandstone on foundations that were part made and part natural. This led to a leaning wall which no one would sit by and stone falling from the face of the tower.
It is a long article but I think it's quite interesting so I've posted it all.

Attachments

• st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_1.JPG
    st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_1.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 15
  • st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_2.JPG
    st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_2.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 13
  • st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_3.JPG
    st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_3.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 10
  • st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_4.JPG
    st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_4.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 10
  • st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_5.JPG
    st_lukes_5_nov_1889_part_5.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 11
The then vicar of the Bristol Street St Luke's told me the tower was never finished as they had run out of money - not now but when it was built (rebuilt). It seems that the parishioners at that time were hoping to build their tower "taller than the tower on the church up the road": I have no idea which church he was referring to 'up the road' but he did nod in the direction of Five Ways/Broad Street Edgbaston

I don't know what church it would have been toward Five Ways but, in the other direction, there's St Alban's which has a fairly high tower and might, at times, have been visible from St Luke's. https://www.saintalban.co.uk/

Surely the reference to "the Church up the Road" would mean one close by and the nearest churches all on Bristol St would have been, St Catherine's, The Old Meeting Church, and The Wycliffe Baptist Church?

Attachments

• Horsefair Wycliffe Baptist Church Bristol St 1956.JPG
    Horsefair Wycliffe Baptist Church Bristol St 1956.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Horsefair Old Meeting Church Bristol St 1954.JPG
    Horsefair Old Meeting Church Bristol St 1954.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Horsefair  St Catherine of Siena Church .jpg
    Horsefair St Catherine of Siena Church .jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 36
Surely the reference to "the Church up the Road" would mean one close by and the nearest churches all on Bristol St would have been, St Catherine's, The Old Meeting Church, and The Wycliffe Baptist Church?
The original quote was "taller than the tower on the church up the road" so I suppose it refers to one with a tower (rather than a spire) on or near one of the roads close to St Luke's. That could be Bristol Road/Bristol St as you said but it could also be Belgrave Rd/ (whatever the Ladywood middleway used to be). St Alban's is just off the Belgrave Rd and has a tower. If you have pictures of the other churches along the roads, I'd say to look for something with a tall tower rather than a spire.

Perhaps he was nodding towards St.Augustines in Edgbaston - the tower and spire there is the tallest in Birmingham at 185 ft

IMG_1201.jpg

An illustration from 1864 in the Illustrated London News Wycliffe Baptist.

Back