• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Johns Church Perry Barr

This article is trying to find out more about a visiting Minister named Harold J Scot from Barbados. If anyone knows about him there's a named contact in the article. Viv.

https://theironroom.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/a-curious-curate/

Just happened to look at the link you've posted - only out of curiousity - was amazed to see that the marriage certificate related to an elderly couple who lived next door to my family, during my childhood!!

Surprising how these things pop up! I agree with the writer that 17 clergy conducting marriages over 3 years is a lot. But maybe it was due to the run up to the Second World War. Did couples rush to get married before the war? Viv.

One of my aunt's got married at St Johns Church in the decade before the Second World War. The brick gate posts seen in the first pic are still there. The little bridesmaid made the second pic unusual standing with her foot sideways ....

Attachments

• 2_OldPH056.jpg
    2_OldPH056.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1_OldPH051.jpg
    1_OldPH051.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 19
Just happened to look at the link you've posted - only out of curiousity - was amazed to see that the marriage certificate related to an elderly couple who lived next door to my family, during my childhood!!
Glendower and Teddington were both on my paper round back in the late fifties. My parents bought a new house in Dewsbury Grove back in 1939 so Glendower and Teddington must have also been fairly new.

Glendower and Teddington were both on my paper round back in the late fifties. My parents bought a new house in Dewsbury Grove back in 1939 so Glendower and Teddington must have also been fairly new.

I lived in Glendower Road, we moved into the house in 1952 or 1953. I think you're right about the houses being built around 1939 as the house my parents bought was previously lived in by forces personel during the war, they moved them in to the houses as soon as they were built I believe.

I was christened at St. John's in 1954. Here we all are - I'm the one in the white frock admiring my new shoes from England's shoe shop on Birchfield Rd, Perry Barr. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416514614.899974.jpg

what a lovely photo viv....ive often and still do walk past st johns...its a lovely church...ps show off with the shoes lol
lyn

Just for you Lyn, a closer view of those shoes (or maybe booties!). I've often wondered what the poster says to the left of the entrance, but impossible to read it. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416559657.922378.jpg

ahh what a cuttie viv....cant make out the poster either but i bet it is proclaiming your christening lol

Blimey Lyn you could be right! Or it might be 'not a public byway, no parking in this churchyard.' Seems my uncles car was exempt!

Had a look on Streetview and, as Oldmohawk says in post # 25 re his aunt's wedding photos, the pillars are still there. The entrance to the church looks the same too. It's good to see it so well maintained, including the churchyard. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416561907.516734.jpg

l was a bridesmaid at my brothers wedding in June 1956..at st Johns....it is a lovely church all tucked away in the middle of nowhere, or so it seemed...also my two nephews were christened there,l do have some lovely photos but as yet have never found out how to post them...l remember it being a hot day the sun was shining it was . beautiful day for s wedding....Brenda

Would love to see the photos Brenda. Are you able to send them in an email to me and I'll post them on the thread for you. Just message me if you want me to do it and I'll send you my email address. Viv.

A view of the church that you don't often see. This is dated c1904, and the church still has its spires.

Not sure about this, but the wall in front of the church must be where St John's Walk is today. If so Church Road/.Lane must be to the left.Viv

image.jpeg

Back