• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Johns Church Perry Barr

T

Tanya

My mom was married at St Johns and while we were in the area a few weeks ago we took my mom on a trip down memory lane :) x

Thanks for the lovely pictures Tanya,:)
I was a little worried as to the state of the churchyard but it looks fine, hope to get there this week end.

Regards

Derek

You are very welcome, Derek and I'm glad you liked them :) We don't go anywhere without the camera now as we always seem to go on quick detours for the family tree :D

From what I could see the church yard wasn't too overgrown but I was looking from the car at the time as I stayed behind with the children while my mom and hubby went to have a look instead.

I hope you manage to get over there at the weekend and find what you are looking for (and that the weather stays nice for you too).

Tanya

I wasn't too sure myself which section to put it under, Alf and thought the Old and New Brum might be okay. Do you think I should ask if it can be moved? :)

Don't worry Tanya if the MANAGEMENT8) think iot should be moved they will move it, I only asked because we had St John's Church website on last night.

Just think about cleaning your house on Wednesday

Thanks, Alf. It was when I was typing a reply to the thread that I thought maybe I should put the pics up that we took of the church :) Looking back now it would have made more sense for me to put them on there instead :oops: :D

I will pop over to the post again in a bit and put them on there too.

bvc.jpeg
These lovely old cottages were/are near to St. Johns Church, Perry Barr. 1906

I like the photo Stitcher. That's a miracle they're still there! Didn't know about this thread, so nice to find out about it as I was christened at St. John's. Many thanks. Viv.

My cousin and myself went to St. Johns, she was married there in the early 1960's. They had a very good youth club, I remember going on a trip on the train, do not know where we went to, probably Sutton Park, that was quite an outing in those days. I especially remember the choir boys!!!!!!!!!

I like the photo Stitcher. That's a miracle they're still there! Didn't know about this thread, so nice to find out about it as I was christened at St. John's. Many thanks. Viv.

My parents were married at St Johns and I was christened there too. I also belonged to their Brownie pack (219th Birmingham I think they were)

My Sister and I used to go to Sunday school at St Johns in the middle fifties, we used to save the religious pictures/stamps they used to give you if you attended. I would have preferred staying at home and playing in the gully at the back of our house but our Mother insisted we go, probably to get us from under her feet.

That's brought back a memory for me - the religious stamps. Although I was christened at St. John's I went to Sunday School at Kingstanding Settlement. They gave you religious stamps. Fine, but we had to learn the biblical extracts at the bottom of the stamp and recite them the next week. I too would have rather stayed at home, especially with the dreaded prospect of reciting in front of the class. The saving grace was I liked the pictures on the stamps. Viv.

Hello Viv
My sister and I told our Mother that St Johns was becoming a High Church (we wouldn't have used these words) as they were starting to swing some sort of smoking pot on a chain around, that was the last time we went to Sunday school, Oh happy days playing out all day Sunday :)

Yes I too stopped going to Sunday school. Don't know to this day why I stopped going, probably because I kicked up such a fuss about going! But it must have been standard practice to send children off to Sunday school in th 50s. Viv.

I took this photo of St. John's sometime in the 1970s (I think) and it still has the spires. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335384963.103210.jpg

Back