• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St John's Boys school pre 1900.

goldsky

I have a 8x10 photo mounted on cardboard, sepia style, original class photo. My great Uncle, Charles Ben Roberts is in the front row. He wrote on the back of the photo where he is seated and his friend, Harry F__br_s. Charles Roberts was born in 1892 in Birmingham. He appears to be age 5-7.
I am looking for the history about this school and a photo.
I appreciate any help.
Patricia ROBERTS.jpeg

hi we have a section for schools and colleges so i am moving this thread from general discussion to the correct section of the forum where you may receive a better response..

lyn

St john's school would be the church school associated with St John's church in Ladywood. It is shown in red on the c1889 map below. Presumably he would have been in the infants section, which is marked on the south east side of the roadmap c 1889 showing St John's school.jpg

This is great! Ladywood does appear it the ROBERTS family records often. Is it a district of B'Ham?
Is the church St John still there? I will research it. I am looking for any church records for the ROBERTS. My grandfather, Sylvester Morris Roberts and his 4 brothers were born here and then worked in the gun factories until immigrating to USA.
Patricia

It is now called the Church of St Johns and St Peters and can be seen at:

Back