• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. John's Approved School

Hi all, I was in St.Johns. Looking to speak to past residents. Would like to chat to experiences, recovery and how life has taken you

Hi i was in here 1985 to 1986 i was15 and resident on redlands I have good and bad memories of this place some good times were holidays to North devon sneaking out the back door of the club drinking with staff. I won't go into the bad. I had police knocking my door in 2002 looking for info on certain members of staff .over the years I have looked for people on Facebook friends reunited etc but found no one from St johns like others have said on here it seems like not many people who was in here or worked here want to acknowledge it. Staff I remember were jim gil val hilary and Keith teachers I remember John computers Kevin metalwork that's all don't remember many surnames

Hi i was in here 1985 to 1986 i was15 and resident on redlands I have good and bad memories of this place some good times were holidays to North devon sneaking out the back door of the club drinking with staff. I won't go into the bad. I had police knocking my door in 2002 looking for info on certain members of staff .over the years I have looked for people on Facebook friends reunited etc but found no one from St johns like others have said on here it seems like not many people who was in here or worked here want to acknowledge it. Staff I remember were jim gil val hilary and Keith teachers I remember John computers Kevin metalwork that's all don't remember many surnames
Hi Tony, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a good thing to say about that ‘hell hole’. I left there in 1984 and have to say ‘I hated the place’. I was 12 when I went in there and was on Lawnswood. I remember some of the staff you mentioned - and I‘m Aware that a few are now in prison. I had plain clothed officers knock my door too (I’m sure it was operation ‘Clarissa’) A few members of staff were charged with child abuse .. which is very disturbing. I’m glad you had some good memories of St.Johns and hope others were lucky enough to have some too. I would love to chat with residents and see where their lives took them after leaving there - it would be good to hear how people have coped and recovered from that place. Ive searched for years for people that I knew in there but to no avail. Maybe no-one wants to be associated with the place, relive or be reminded
K

hello sally

i worked at st johns childrens home gravelly hill north from 1986 - 2000 so well after you were there. it was (and still is) a home for young people on remand, in trouble with the law and also it did have a secure unit there for the most serious offenders.

i heard it was run by nuns in the past and of course it is next door to st mary and st johns catholic church.

it looks like the national archives have some records of the school pre 1950 but they are not available to be seen yet.
i hope you manage to contact some of your friends. all the best

chris
I was there in the 90s I was friends with Sally Ann I was always running off

Hello All.

I lived at St Johns 87-92/93. I remember most of the staff and children there. I adored (almost) each and very member of staff there, faults and all. They looked after me, they saved my life and moulded me into the person am today.

Bob Kendall
Alan Sargent
Ken Gregory
Eamon Duffy
Sandra Trickett
Trevor Minto
David Goodman
Dave Stewart
Debbie Crawshaw
Steve and Richard Gittings
Keithy Jaeger
I could go on and on....

I miss them all dearly. I have managed to find a few of them and thanked them personally. If anyone has any information on anyone that I may know, please point them to here.

Kind Regards
Nina :) xx
I remember most of them lol I was always running off they took my trainers off me

Thread unlocked but please take note:

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history.

A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly others did not. Together we need to write these stories into history, so that we may celebrate successes and learn from failures.

It is important to remind ourselves that this forum is a public platform that can be viewed by anyone across the globe. We ask our members to think carefully what they write. Tell us and others about your experiences good or bad. But also consider others when you do so there could be living relatives, friends or family who will see the relationship with these people differently from you. Adverse comments could be seen as defamatory, and even give rise to libel claims.

If you have experienced events at schools that you see as adverse, by all means say so, but please ensure you protect the identity of the people involved and in so doing you will protect yourself and this forum. Use phrases like “the maths teacher…” or “Miss X…” etc. If in doubt, the moderators are here to help.

So, lets have your school stories, good or bad. Just remember that it is the story of your school years we want to hear; it is not a platform for revenge.

Hi everyone,
I check from time to time to see if anyone got locked up from them days and the 2 people that were at the top of my mind finaly got locked up but they got away with it if you ask me.
My name is Ricky, I was in St Johns from around 92-93 when it was refurbished, I was on the ground floor with Gary, Dave, Sally, Claire, Elizabeth, Kevin, Anthony, my memory is bad so sorry if I forgot you as there was a few upstairs.

I still have problems from St Johns and all them places, they gave me some 40 plus convictions which made my life real hard and impossible to get a job, the teacher got me banned the first day in their as he was drunk and touched one the boys and I called him a peedo, that was the end of my education their, this guy who got locked up was their then too, my worker and the staff knew all about this as it was blatent, I feel because they was their longer, they didnt want to challenge them.

I was in Athelstone, St Johns, Oak hill, Herons way, Reseviour rd, maybe one or two others from 1991 to 1997, I was born 1981 and went to Glenthorne secure unit, Big boy Malvern unit in or around 94 or 95 then back to childrens homes then jail and back until 96 then left care as I was dumped in a hostel on a prison release..

Im glad to see some staff are getting locked up, late better then never but still a few staff around that need to go to jail IMO, thats how Im here from checking if any of them have been caught, two of the few main ones I came across got locked up now but theres still others...

I feel like I have a story to tell, like most of you but no where to tell it? Not the right place here either.. I read all the comments, I was never sexualy assaulted but I was definitily assaulted, knocked out, choked out, staff provoking restraints and I witnessed grooming/abuse, weird talking and touching quite alot, every childrens home had a peedo in it and staff that bashed you and they all knew..

I was there in St johns when this went on too, Im sure I was in the van on that one charge where it says they stopped at a red light and he touched him, I cant remember the one boys name but it was happening and blatent too as I called out on it a few times, the teacher banned me from school which basicly put me in a worser position for secure unit which is where I ended up at Glenthorne, I did get some education their but you cant get a job after all them arrests on people of authority like they do when they restrain you and get you arrested.

I was suprised when cops contacted me too and wish id spoke to them but life been to hard.

I see some of you edited names, why if you know what they done is true and it is public record? I want to name names and things I seen too?

I feel they should be named and shamed but this probably not the place, even the ones that twisted us up in what they called restraints that they provoked you into then did that mental health torture stuff to you? Straight up abuse, thats what all that was. If your dad did that, theyd be in jail but these were doing it for decades and some aint even been caught and already dead. They got away with it and still do, they got away with to much.

Hope some of you are reading and I will try reply, may have to remind me how we know, were we was etc.

Take care and god bless.

Last edited:
hi ricky...firstly i am sorry that you seem to have had such a hard time at st johns and as said on post 70 its fine to recount them on this forum but we have to protect the forums good name by not allowing the full names of teachers accused etc to be published because although we are not disputing the accusations made if they turn out not to be true this forum could end up in a lot of hot water...reading your post it does not seem as though you have actually named names so i see no need to edit your post but i will say that i always feel sad when i hear of children getting such a bad start in life and go through such bad times that it affects them for life...i do hope that you ended up with some happiness..all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Hi all,I would just like to say a thank you Jim for all your help with this site.I was in St johns chs in late 70s early 80s. I remember be taken up the drive and walking in that big front door,if you went left at the door there was a massive walk way with mesh above your head. Then if you went to the left was kitchen and unit called redlands,but if you went right there was adoor to the back of the building and when you go though that door, on the left was pentlands(secure unit 4beds. But just at the side of pentlands there was a door which went some steps,when I asked what the home was before I was told about the nuns and that little room below was where they sent when naughty. On the back wall was marks of days and other writing. It was astore cupboard when st johns was a chs. I remember them gates,and I can't believe they took tennis courts away and pulled down woodsong all for new secure unit. Which is now not in use. Always remember Mr b and Jones. I went back to visit afew times. I have aphoto of the main entrance but haven't aclue how to load to this site. Any help would be grateful,I'm not to good with computers lol. Take care all.
hi i was there during that time

I was there 80/81/82 and sounds like the same (edit) was happening then as well. I gave statement to police about TENNAL school staff & 2 were convicted but they never asked about St.Johns. Sounds like we had the same experiences. Hope you're coping ok now. It's atrocious the stuff they got away with. Take care
Hi drew,I to had a visit from wooden tops,someone in Tennal gave my name and I told them everything I could remember. Heligoland was brilliant we went sea fishing to which made me so ill. I was in Aston view and pentlands,always in pentlands for running away . I then went to the hostel in 81 and then left about August 81. Merry Christmas all,its been a while since I was on here. Take care all

Last edited:
Back