• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St John Ambulance Brigade

Ian Leggett

master brummie
Do you have any memories of the SJAB who were based at Lionel Street in Birmingham.
As a cadet I remember marching through the city on our Annual Church Service complete with marching bands. That was very moving. My father was a County Staff Officer until 1965 when he retired. He was totally dedicated to the St Johns. He was responsible for starting the first Air Ambulances from Elmdon Airport with a De Havilland Rapide. He was also in the Rover Division in the 1950's and started up a cadet section in Sheldon in the early 1960's. The SJAB was so well supported that when there was a parade in London Hyde Park they would charter their own steam train complete with the 8 point star on the engine front to take the members to London.
Regards Ian.

I certainly do remember the St John Ambulance Association (which it had become by 1958, the year in which I joined). I too was a cadet; but I was a junior member of the St Giles Division of D Corps, City of Birmingham. Our section of the organisation met up every Tuesday evening in a hall under the Billy Pond Ballroom in Green Lane, Small Heath.
Strangely, the member responsible for the cadet section in the ex-St Giles Church division came from Sheldon. At that time (1958-61) he lived in Gilbertstone Avenue; his surname is Shaw.
I well remember going a number of times to Lionel Street; it was there that we had to go for our exams. David

Ian,
Before I open up a debate as regards Brigade or Association, I've just found this in Wikipedia:
"St John Ambulance was originally divided into two fields, teaching first aid to workplace employees via the St. John Ambulance Association, and providing uniformed medical volunteers to cover public and private events via the St. John Ambulance Brigade. However, these two entities merged in 1968 to form a single unified St. John Ambulance, providing both training and first-aid cover."
I must admit I didn't know of this distinction. I can only remember that all my books (I've still got them!) were published by the St John Ambulance Association. Best regards, D.

I am not sure where uncle Arthur was based but most of his spare time was given to the St Johns. Here are two photo's of him in uniform and maybe someone could tell me what his cups were for please?. He lived in West Bromwich and his name was Arthur Taplin. That is his proud mom my nan Pemmy. Jean.

Good morning, Jean,
When I was in my very early teens, there were often first aid "competitions" to keep us on our toes ..... your uncle was obviously very good at his calling. D.

Thanks David. He tried to get me interested and let me put bandages on him but I did have to become a first aider with my job so had no choice. I wish the other photo would open though. Jean.

Jean, are you sure it's one of the accepted Forum file types, i.e., doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mp4 pdf png pps psd txt wav wmv xls or zip ? It won't load if it's something different. Strange that the photo of your talented uncle opens a treat. D.

Thanks for those replies. When I was a cadet until 1957/8 it was certainly the "Brigade". My father's certificate dated 1953,refers to him as Corps Officer, "A" Corps Birmingham, The St John Ambulance Brigade. He was made a County Staff Officer later. I well remember the attendances at the Ice Rink, Alexander Theatre, Odeon and Hippodrome as a cadet.
One of my highlights at a 14 year old was collecting a disabled girl of 21 in a wheelchair from Acocks Green railway station with another cadet and pushing the wheelchair to Horrell Road Sheldon as the family could not afford an ambulance. This attracted the press and an applause at the school I attended. Funny how these things stay with you as I am still helping disabled and less able people at the age of 67.
A yearly service in honour of the Order of St John was conducted at Temple Balsall which was the official St John'sChurch and a parade marched through the area to attend.
Regards Ian.

I wonder then, Ian, if our paths ever crossed in the past? Despite a four-year age difference, the four locations you mention were all places that I too was sent to "to help out in the case of need". If you put "Little Green Lane/Storrs Place" into the site's search facility, you will find a post (#11) in which I say I saw "Lawrence of Arabia" countless times at the Odeon when it first came out (Dec. 1962 - so well into 1963).
In 1958, did you pass into the adult section or did you leave the Brigade? D.

Hi D, I left in 1958 without joining the Adults (much to my fathers disapproval).
I cannot remember which films I saw now. I know that sometimes unless the Adult Officer turned up we would not be allowed in to the Odeon. And with the Skating Rink we were not allowed to put bandages on injuries,only watch.
The cadet I did the walk with the wheelchair was named John Tippen. Other names that were in the Sheldon Area were Arthur Eke (Officer) Mr Stanley and Mr Cowell (Officer) The Commisioner at Lionel Street was Brigadier Haynes and Mrs Hammond was also a Senior Officer (Nursing).
Regards Ian.

I past my exam at Lionel Street in 1952 and enjoyed being a cadet. I remember going by train to Worcester Race Course for a parade that was inspected by Princess Margaret. We marched from the station to the race course, then around the track to our positions. It was a hot day (for the UK) and cadets were collapsing everywhere which was dangerous as Princess Margaret was driven through the ranks in the back of a Landrover at about 50 mph. At the cinemas our only job was to stand at the back when the film ended so that the Patrons could see us, and at the ice rink it was to carry the tea and biscuits from the canteen to our room.

Yes I passed my exams in Lionel Street. I remember going to Hyde Park for a parade and having to stand for along period in the sun and fainted. I think it may have been that finally made me decide to leave,and being pushed to go for promotion which I did not really want.

Hi D, I left in 1958 without joining the Adults (much to my fathers disapproval).
I cannot remember which films I saw now. I know that sometimes unless the Adult Officer turned up we would not be allowed in to the Odeon. And with the Skating Rink we were not allowed to put bandages on injuries,only watch.
The cadet I did the walk with the wheelchair was named John Tippen. Other names that were in the Sheldon Area were Arthur Eke (Officer) Mr Stanley and Mr Cowell (Officer) The Commisioner at Lionel Street was Brigadier Haynes and Mrs Hammond was also a Senior Officer (Nursing).
Regards Ian.
When i started work at the Post Office Engineering Factory 1943 the first aider was Athur Eke he was in the St John`s then and was at St Andrews reguarly, i live in Sheldon and so did Athur i was told he died at the age 93yrs. Len.

Nice thread folks. I was a cadet in the St John Ambulance Brigade c1968 - 1973. Remember very well the head quarters in Lionel St. Great place and many great memories. My division was in Handsworth.

Memories for me too, though later than these, was in St John from 1972 until I went nursing in 1978. Visited the Birmingham headquarters once, when taking part in a competition, but I was in the Tamworth division. It was a great association to belong to, we were lucky enough to be County champions in both the Nursing and Firt Aid areas of cadets whilst I was there, and went to many competitions. Our Adult team were also very successful, can remember going to the National Finals with the men team , think it would have been 1978, as I started my training.
It stood me in good staed all the way through my nursing, was the only one in my set who could roll bandages and apply a decent spiral and reverse spiral that satisfied Matron - I was in great demand when she was due to do her rounds, as if she wasn't happy with the bandaging, she would take them off and make you start again!!
We had some great camping holidays as well and I did "duties" for lots of thing - Drayton Manor every summer weekend, our local am dram and operatical productions, seeing the Queen when she was in Tamworth and lots more.
Great happy memories.
Sue

Good memeories there Sue - we went camping ~ in my time to Swansea and Guernsey. Had a great time. Good you could use the practice in your job too. You've triggered my memory now ... I remember using the figure of eight (I think) for a broken leg and 1-2 types of sling too as well as those bandages. We had a team of 4 and individual events too. Had some great duties too at the local cinema's :)

Yes the St Johns Ambulance Cadets were good fun. At Great Barr we had football team for a while in the early 50s, everone used their own and different jerseys from sundry other teams. We called ouselves the Rainbow Rangers. The team was abandoned after a 22 nil defeat.

Posted photo is of some of the Great Barr cadets and ofiicers that went to North Ockenden for the Cadets Coronation Camp in 1953. I'm third from left back row. Dave Andrews is extreme right middle row, Bobby Hitch extreme right front Row and Dave Skinner is back row second from right. I can't remember the others but we had a great time.

I sem to recall that we met somewhere by Hampstead Colliery, must be getting past it. Anyone else know were we met?

Attachments

• St Johns Cadets.jpg
    St Johns Cadets.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 22
Hi i have just found this site and the information in it i ref to the referance to St Giles division i was a member here when it was taken over by a mr Benny Goodman i was a young cadet and took charge of mthe cadets as cadet leader,and enjoyed many nights out on duty at the Gomont cinema,Hippadrome,and other places in the city.
Also i was in the First Aid competitions held at HQ Lionel st, I also saw the BT tower being built and later on in life when up it. Thanks BOB

James Savage rose to become Publicity and Advertising Superintendent of Midland Red retiring at the end of 1953.
During WW2 he was responsible for the co-ordination of St. John ambulances at many Midland Red garages where he was Corps Officer.

Back