• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St James The Less Church Ashted

Thankyou Phil, I have glanced through the Gosta Green Thread but will peruse it later when I have more time, cheers!

What a magnificent church St James was. I have never seen a photo of it before, what a loss to our city, yet again.

St James The Less was built by John Ash a well known physician in 1771 on land leased from Sir Lester Holte. It was built as a house but he never lived there himself and sold the lease of the house and estate to John Brooke a leading attorney of the time. It was Brooke who laid out the surrounding streets of Ashted. Later he added a cupola to the house and opened it as a church. As stated previously the building was badly damaged during the bombing of WW2 and according to records it was demolished in 1956.

this church stood on the corner of great brook street and barrack street it was bombed in the war and was demolised along with great brook street it is now a garden of rest

i lived opposite this church and we used to tell the time from its clock it was a beautiful building. my family were in the air raid shelter under there when it was bombed

Thank you for this wonderful thread. Really helps build a picture of what life was like for my ancestors.
I have ordered a film from familysearch library if anyone would like me to look for their ancestors bapt.
Years 1882 to 1904 St James the Less and St Johns Mission , Ashted
St Annes Church and St Matthews, Duddeston-cwm-Nechells.
It may take 3 weeks to come in.
I hope Wendy and Phil dont mind if I save a couple of photos ?

No longer able to do look ups ,film returned.

You are welcome to save copies. I do that and put them on my tree I think it makes it far more interesting. My husbands family are from that area so I may take you up on the offer. Mind you Partridge seems to be a common name in the area.

there was a family called partridge that lived in the massionettes in barrack street i dont remember them much but maybe they were related to you wendy and anothershot if you would like to look for the name gwilliam im sure most of my family were married in snt james between the 1920 and 30s i was married at snt mathews in 1950

My husbands Partridge family I have found in Adam Street in 1841 and several baptisims before that. They were very large families so I don't think I will ever find them all.

Re: St James, Ashted

the church was situated on the corner of great brook street and barrack street ,i lived opposite it in great brook street .it was bombed during the war while we were underneath in the air raid shelter pity it was never rebuilt as it was a lovely church

i was a child when the church was bombed .we were playing hide and seek round the crypts when the bomb hit us. there wer e some people trapped but if i remember right they all got out safe my brother was home on leave from the RaF and he helped to rescue them

St James the less

Thank you all for your help. St James the Less was where my
G G Grandfather was married and his children Christened in the mid 1800's.
Does anyone know if there are any images of this church?

My great Aunt was married there and most of her children christneed there in the late 1800's.

thanks two...my 4x great grandparents are both buried there..think it was the 1850s and 60s

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
It looks like it's just had a bit of a make over. It does not look as nice as that in some previous photos in this thread.

a link here to a few photos of remaining headstones laid flat...taken in 2007 so hopefully they are still there...will try and get over there soon for a look....dont know for certain but i am assuming that all burials remain in place even though the church has gone..hope so as said earlier my 4x grandparents were both buried there but without a stone very little chance of finding them

lyn

I've just discovered that my mom was baptized at this church April 5 1905. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Attachments

• st James.JPG
    st James.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for this great thread I’ve just learnt my great gran parents married here in the early 1900’s ”Charles Hazlewood & Alice”

Back