• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St James The Less Ashted Lookups

MWS

from Bham
Hello,

It looks like there are there 2 baptisms for Simmonds, daughters of James and Mary between 1873 and 1881. Could someone possibly give me the details off the images if there are any please.

Name:
Ellen Simmonds
Birth Date:
29 Sep 1875
Baptism Date:
28 Nov 1875
Baptism Place:
Ashted, St James the Less, Warwickshire, England
Father:
James Simmonds
Mother:
Mary Simmonds
Reference Number:
DRO10
Archive Roll:
M4

Name:
Sarah Ann Simmonds
Birth Date:
28 Dec 1881
Baptism Date:
23 Jan 1887
Baptism Place:
Ashted, St James the Less, Warwickshire, England
Father:
James Simmonds
Mother:
Mary Simmonds
Reference Number:
DRO 10
Archive Roll:

You can view the records at Birmingham library, beautiful record books they are. My husbands family were baptised at St James the Less.

St James the Less records are on Ancestry - not sure if all are there but I found some I needed that way.

Janice

Hi, Doing research into David Evans and his wife Susannah, who were buried in a vault at St james the less, Ashted.
He died in 1865 and am hoping that someone may have transcribed any memorial inscriptions on the vault.
Best regards.

Hi Wendy
Many thanks, looks like my ancestors have slipped the net! Unless there was an actual memorials inscriptions book
published.
Cheers

Have you the following info.
1841 Bk40 Sandpits , Ladywood.
David Evans age 40 Shopkeeper not born in county
Susannah age 40 born in county

1851 86 Park street, Birmingham , St Peter
David Evans age 50 b Walsall Provision dealer
Susannah age 50 b Birmingham

1861 30 St James Place, (this was off Vauxhall road)
David Evans age 60 b Walsall , retired Grocer
Susannah age 59
Mary Evans age 27 b wolverhampton , Cousin.

David and Susannah both died between 1861 -1871.

Last edited:
You may get the burial info for St James The Less, from Birmingham Library Fairfax. If Alberta has the right people the dates will help.

Hi Wendy/Alberta
Yep these are my ancestors, trying hard to find out who his parents were, to push back a little further. He had a brother William Evans
who was born in Dawley or Brosely. Many thanks for your efforts, I'll get in touch with the library.
Best - fairfax.

There is a marriage of David Evans to Susannah Houghton in 1828 the only birth I find is 1800 Solihull.

Susannah Weston baptised 1802 St Phillips.

Only by seeing the parish records for fathers name will you be able to verify which marriage,

In 1828 I don't think they recorded Father's names. Ancestry shows the parish record but only records the names of bride and groom and witnesses. David Evans is listed as a widower. The witnesses are Elizabeth and Thomas (looks like) Bardells.

Janice

Just a little bit of info. I have just watched a programme about the disciples and James the Less was thought to be Jesus's brother. Of course, nothing can be confirmed.

Hello Fairfax, Unsure if you have this information or not but thought perhaps it was worthwhile posting.

David EVANS -7 June. Effects £1,5000.
The Will of David EVANS late of Ashted in the parish of Aston, Birmingham in the County of WARWICK Gentleman deceased who died 23 May 1865 at Ashted. Aforesaid was proved at Birmingham by oaths of John MACCORMACK of 72 Grosvenor Street Birmingham. Aforesaid Chandelier Maker Joseph FISHER of 7 Morleston Steet, Derby in the County of Derby, Iron Turner and Mary Ann EVANS of 30 St James Place, Vauxhall, Birmingham aforesaid Spinster ( during discoverture only ) the Executors.

Bo

Last edited:
Hi All
Very many thanks for the all the illuminating comments etc. After much searching I have finally found David's baptismal record for Walsall on the free reg parish records site. His birth was not recorded on the IGI, Ancestry or Findmypast !!!!!!!. Father Evan, mother Mary Hand nee Hunt.
All the best fairfax in N. Wales

Back