• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St James Edgbaston Infant School, 1888

angelab

knowlegable brummie
Hi there,

This is really tied up with genealogy, but I wondered if anyone knew anything about St James Edgbaston Infant School - which does not appear still to exist.

An inscription in a "Commentary on the New Testament" book shows that it was presented to my husband's grandmother (Ida Mary Davis) in 1888 for being a "first-class candidate". It doesn't say at what. She would have been aged 17.
Another inscribed book ("Prayer Book with Commentary"), from the same school a year later, mentions her as "pupil teacher".

I'd be interested to know where the school was exactly, and whether any records of its staff are likely to be available anywhere.

Angela

Well, Mikejee, you are really something else!
All those questions you have answered for me tonight has led me to some pinpointing of locations on GoogleEarth. And lots of stuff starts to fall into place.
Thank you VERY much!

Angela

I have just caught up with this write up, as I am searching for some details about St James' school as well. My mother and aunt went to a school with that name, in Edgbaston in the 1930's. They believe it was a secondary school though, so maybe there is a different school, but I cannot find any detail on that. Moher born in 1923 would have started at the school in 1933/4 I think. She was not there long. However my aunt was there from 1931 to 34 at least. If anyone has any more detail I would be very grateful.

I have just caught up with this write up, as I am searching for some details about St James' school as well. My mother and aunt went to a school with that name, in Edgbaston in the 1930's. They believe it was a secondary school though, so maybe there is a different school, but I cannot find any detail on that. Moher born in 1923 would have started at the school in 1933/4 I think. She was not there long. However my aunt was there from 1931 to 34 at least. If anyone has any more detail I would be very grateful.
I went to this school in 1962..and then it was demolished.

Back