• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St James Church Frederick road Aston

I also have a picture I took in 1970 of Mrs. Howes and Nobby Clark who dislodged the St. James Church bell back in the mid fifties.

Attachments

• Mrs. Howes and Nobby Clark 1970.JPG
    Mrs. Howes and Nobby Clark 1970.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 26
lovely photo of mrs howes gord ..love her pinney.....nobby has an impish face and i can just imagine him swinging from the bells ropes as he did:D

lyn

Lyn,

These are the sort of pics that everyone took of friends and neighbours, and must exist in their thousands. It is just that they have been put away and forgotten about. The danger is that they will be rediscovered in thirty years time, no one will remember who they were, and they will be destroyed, lost forever. Great stuff.

Maurice

St James's.jpg My mother went to St James's Sunday School when she lived in Clifton Road. She had a book given to her in 1922 as a Special Prize. The book was Good Wives by Louisa M Alcott which I still have. Sorry the photo is sideways - I can't change it!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi judy how lovely that you still have the book that your mom received thanks for posting...yet another little family treasure for you...

hi maurice it really only dawned on me a few months ago when i was looking through my family photos that not everyone has films developed nowadays unless they are special ones that are for framing..most are kept on their phones and social media so i guess it wont be long before the days of finding old photos in skips and attics etc will be more or less at an end this is why it is so important to hang onto the old ones that we have...guess thats progress for you

lyn

Well, Lyn, with data privacy laws, IVF, even more adoptions, and gay weddings, genealogy will become nigh on an impossibility in the future. Make the best of it while you can!

Maurice

Another view of the church. It seems to have been extended at the side in a very odd style . I don’t have a date for this one and unfortunately there are few clues in the photo. Viv.

EED21A38-7BDD-4295-892C-26AF18A39A45.jpeg

Hi...
Just reading some old threads on St James Church in Aston....
Me and my good lady was married there on 31st July 1976....
The reverend was John Austin who was also popular on BRMB radio , his show was on a Sunday night .
We had our reception at Albert Road School with barrels of beer from Ansells and sandwiches , etc , made up from Aunts and In laws....
Sadly .. it was demolished a few years after our wedding...
Many years later , I had to go the new church which was built to get a copy of our certificate and was informed we were the last couple to be married in the old church.....
I will dig out some photos and upload them....

I was baptised at St James, Frederick Road and sang in the church choir together with my brother 1953-1958. The choirmaster and organist was Mr Perfect.

Back