• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St James Church Frederick road Aston

pam1949

proper brummie kid
Can anyone help
Looking for a photo of St James Church Aston on the corner of Frederick road and whitehead road
Hoping to surprise my sister and brother in law with it as they were married 50years ago April 1st 2011
Many thanks
Pam

This church photo has been searched for before with no success. My parents were married there in 1937 the wedding photos only show the doorway. Hope some of the newer members may be able to help as I would like a copy for my files.

pam and mike..ive added the church to my list of pics to search for at the library...fingers crossed...mike i recall looking for pics of this church ages ago without success but there wil be one somewhere...

lyn

Last edited:
St_James_s_Church_Aston_2.jpg
My Dad's family were all christened and married at St James. I put an appeal out for photo's of the church back in 2006, a kind lady who I can't remember her name posted these.

St_James_Church_Aston.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wendy. My brother and I and most of my cousins were christened there, lots of family weddings as well.

Welcome to the forum willey. Yes Aston has changed a lot so has Birmingham. I have difficulty finding my way around now. All my Jennings family attended St James Church I hope the records are at Central Library as I would love to find my Dad'd christening record he would have been 100 this year.

St James registers are at the library. I found all me family weddings and christenings.

Oh thanks Mike I will have to go now!! I think there will be a few of my family weddings and christenings there. I wonder if our families knew each other?

I have re instated the photo's of St James Church on this thread originally posted by Gillian Atkins. It would be nice to find some more photo's of this church.

My late brother was married there in the mid 60's, I recall there being some photos, I'll ckeck it out this evening.

Here is a lovely photo of St James Aston taken from our Facebook page.

St James Church Aston.jpg

As I said to Tom Burke on Facebook, I have a copy of Good Wives which was given to my Mom in 1922 as a Special Prize when she attended St James's Sunday School. I don't know what the special prize was for though. It's good to see what the church looked like.

I, too, was christened at this church in 1937. Thanks for re-posting the photographs.

Maurice

I don't think Tom Burke is a member here. Just as well, as he seems to be a member of all the Birmingham sites and copies photos from all, and quickly reposts them on all the other Birmingham sites. Sadly, he doesn't bother about the detail of the original post, so is constantly posting wrong dates etc. Facebook can be good for local history, but can also be very harmful. Once someone posts wrong information, it is copied, and becomes gospel. On this forum it would be picked up by another member, and corrected.

I don't think Tom Burke is a member here. Just as well, as he seems to be a member of all the Birmingham sites and copies photos from all, and quickly reposts them on all the other Birmingham sites. Sadly, he doesn't bother about the detail of the original post, so is constantly posting wrong dates etc. Facebook can be good for local history, but can also be very harmful. Once someone posts wrong information, it is copied, and becomes gospel. On this forum it would be picked up by another member, and corrected.

hi northfield i agree with you...even on here we get photos posted that gives the wrong info but at least on this forum if someone thinks the captions are wrong we have the ability and the knowledge of some fantastic dedicated members to research it until we get to bottom of the mystery as i did before posting the mills munitions photo earlier today..i knew the caption was wrong but double checked just to make sure before i posted....if we are to learn about the history of brum then as far as we can lets get it right...

lyn

Last edited:
I am lost here so is this not a photo of St James, Aston?? I will remove it if its wrong but it looks like the earlier photo's?

Northfield I'm am not sure how you can assume that Tom is not on the forum as you use a now de plum. If he is incorrect why not correct him rather than leave incorrect. The best of us can make mistakes and many photos in the Birmingham Mail have been wrong. Lyn people do correct incorrect posts wherever they are posted David Benbow spots many of them. Let us not make this an us or them issue please.

Note: This my personal opinion not of the Admin Team.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back