• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Helens Passage Off Vittoria St

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike could i have a map please showing the above...just looking at one of the books i won today and it shows a photo of st helens passage..must admit i didnt think there were any houses around that way...

thanks mike..

Looks like they lasted till the 1950s from this c 1955 map. It is still marked on google maps, though looking up it it looks like a back entrance

Attachments

• map c 1955 showing St Helens passage.jpg
    map c 1955 showing St Helens passage.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 30
looks like there are four houses on the right as you go up the passage mike ...failing that there is another line of 4 at the top of the passage..here is the pic...looks like st helens passage is still there although i would think nothing remains of the dwellings...i am out and about tomorrow will take a look...

VITTORIA ST ST HELEN PASSAGE 001.JPG

Looking at just that small section of the map that Mike has posted graphically shows how very close the houses were to heavy industry. The small number of houses in that section are dominated by heavy, dirty and noisy industry all around it. But within all of that you can see in Lyn's photo #3 how residents made it home with their little gardens and clipped hedges. Viv.

yes viv very neat and tidy..i have always said that most folk tried to keep a tidy house in those days..made the best of what they had...john i am going to take a better look tomorrow..as you said st helens passage is still cut..not sure if they have dumped the name of it though... will find out tomorrow...

Last edited:
Still the same name Lyn. Top view is from Vittoria St and bottom view is from Northwood St end. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 35
looks like there are four houses on the right as you go up the passage mike ...failing that there is another line of 4 at the top of the passage..here is the pic...looks like st helens passage is still there although i would think nothing remains of the dwellings...i am out and about tomorrow will take a look...

View attachment 106850
I love the pailings, you don't see many of them anywhere else.

Anyone know what the big hopper-like structure is in the centre background of Lyn's post #3. There looks like a silo to the left of it too. Was this for grain to supply a factory/brewery/food factory? Viv.

Not sure Viv, but have enhanced it a bit and it looks like a cone protection over something

Attachments

• St%20Helens%20Passage%20off%20Vittoria%20St%20Jewellery%20QtrcBpart.jpg
    St%20Helens%20Passage%20off%20Vittoria%20St%20Jewellery%20QtrcBpart.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 16
I looks like a large extractor fan to me, possibly for fumes. I suppose the cowl over the top was to stop rain getting in without stopping what was being extracted from getting out.

View attachment 106850
My Mom and Auntie were both born at no 5 St Helens Passage. My Grandparents lived there I believe from their marriage in 1924 right up to the 60s. I was really small when they moved but I do have memories of their house. I remember there was a neighbour called Mrs Skitt? My Grandparent were Rose & Jim Boulton and their daughters were Joan & Mavis if anyone remember them.

Back