• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Gregory's Church Small Heath

subotone

'OLDBILL'
For some years now I have been recording Birmingham war memorials. Recently I found a war memorial outside St Gregory's Church Small Heath. The church is now the Bethel United Church. Sadly due to the memorials age and being clad with sandstone the name panels on both sides are completely eroded. The front memorial panel can just be made out that it is in fact a war memorial commemorating WW1.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this and in particular the names that were on the panels. Or, has anyone got any photos of the memorial.

Tony

Tony I have only just mentioned this subject on the thread about street memorials perhaps if we post some it may help if others have any photo's. Maybe a thread on War Memorials in Birmingham. As you say these are often plaques or carved stone some forgotten and some have been destroyed. It would be interesting to find out where some survive and possible photo's of those no longer there.

Hi Wendy
I saw your thread in WW1 but thought I would try here as it was ref a church. I have posted some photos of war memorials in the Image hosting section.

Tony

Back