• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Giles, Rowley Regis

MissSarahG1

Brummie babby
Hi everyone, I am currently looking into the history of St Giles church in Rowley as next year is the 100th anniversary of our 4th building and I will be doing a presentation evening on the history of the church and the area it serves. So, I would very much appreciate if you could tell me anything you know about the church and the area. Particularly, I would love to hear about any familial connections you have with the church, or about any of your family members who lived in the area that didn't necessarily go to the church but lived nearby so that I can build up a picture of life in Rowley.

Thank you x

I see that the 1913 fire destroyed the third building of St Giles which was built in 1907. The article would refer to the second building dating from 1840 ?

The Suffragette caries a story from The London Evening Standard who say there is little doubt the fire is the work of Suffragettes !

A8A2078F-2B83-4877-A1A1-7919FB9DC48D.jpeg

What about the strikers from Coombs Wood. The Reverend seems to have been an advocate of the Master and Servant theory. More likely it was the paraffin used to heat the Church according to Wikipedia.

Hi, re: St Giles Church

I'm involved in the restoration of a pair of lamp posts in the churchyard. The posts have been without their lamps for a long time, and we are investigating their history in order to produce something as close to the originals as possible.

We think the lamps were installed in the late 20s or 30s, and were changed from gas to electric, possibly in the 50s. Therefore we are particularly interested in photographs from 30s-50s, which could hopefully show us what they looked like originally. It would also be a fantastic addition to our documentation of the reinstatement of the lamps.

Does anyone have any old pictures of the church in which you can see the lamp posts?

Back