• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Giles Church Sheldon

Radiorails

master brummie
From top left, clockwise -
No.1 No idea, maybe local Lord of the Manor or someone connected with the church.
No.2 There would be a Bishop or Archbishop connection with this I am sure. Crozier and lamb
No.3 The ten points are associated with the Anglican Bishops of Worcester, in which Sheldon is part I believe.
No.4 Is a Royal Herald design as far as I can see.

Spargone

master brummie
From top left, clockwise -
No.1 No idea, maybe local Lord of the Manor or someone connected with the church.
No.2 There would be a Bishop or Archbishop connection with this I am sure. Crozier and lamb
No.3 The ten points are associated with the Anglican Bishops of Worcester, in which Sheldon is part I believe.
No.4 Is a Royal Herald design as far as I can see.
Your No. 1 contains elements related to the Digby family. No. 2 is an ouch! The lamb is a deer and the emblem represents St. Giles himself. Certainly in the 1960s it was used on the cover of the parish magazine.

jmadone

master brummie
Your No. 1 contains elements related to the Digby family. No. 2 is an ouch! The lamb is a deer and the emblem represents St. Giles himself. Certainly in the 1960s it was used on the cover of the parish magazine.
Wasn't No.2 also incorporated into the badge of Sheldon Heath Comprehensive school?

Radiorails

master brummie
Yes, St. Giles, accepted as of Athenian birth, became Abbot of the monastery (Benedictine) in France which he founded (hence the crozier and hind). Patron of disabled, where many European towns had what was called a cripplegate and church of St. Giles.

mbenne

master brummie
The reopening of St Giles 1867...

Some familiar names in the guest list -would Spooner be the family associated with Elmdon Hall and Elmdon Church?
Dugdale would be the Warwickshire landowners and ancestors of Sir William Dugdale former Chairman of Severn Trent Water based at Sheldon HQ Coventry Road, 1974/83. Chairman Aston Villa 1975/78 and uncle, by second marriage, to David Cameron.

Last edited:

mbenne

master brummie
No.3 is the British Coat of Arms, similar to the shield design in the centre of the Royal Coat of Arms, a quartered shield with two quarters containing the three lions passant guardant of England, one quarter for the lion rampant of Scotland, and the fourth is the harp of Ireland. With recent political developments this could change!

Apart from No.1 being reminiscent of the Sheldon Heath Comp badge I have no idea about the others. Never realised just how complex heraldry is! I looked up family heralds for Dugdale and Spooner and for Elmdon and Sheldon but nothing looks familiar

Spargone

master brummie
Earlier I questioned Margaret Green's claim that the location of the bier cart was unknown. Looking at the church's own website to see if there was anything relating to the heraldic carvings discussed above (there isn't) I see that they confirm my understanding that it is still stored in the purpose-built bier house. Good!