• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Giles Church Sheldon

Normally I believe the captions in Margaret Green's book Around Sheldon but there is a picture on page 18 that I would question the caption.
View attachment 137285

First of all I don't think it was taken in 1985. Sometime around 1962-64, if my memory is correct, there was an 'Oddities' exhibition and the bier was one of the items on display. I don't think the event was ever repeated, (I might be wrong), so why would the bier be put on display for any other event? The caption also says that the 'present' whereabouts was unknown. That surprises me as a brick bier house was built behind St. Giles specifically to house it by Rev. Strickland and others. Does anyone know if that structure still exists and/or where the bier is? [The bier is a hand cart for moving coffins from the lytch gate to the church]. (I could be persuaded that it is my brother looking out of the church hall).

Here is my sister wearing her grandmother's wedding dress at the front door of the church hall as part of the 'Oddities' show, (the bier is clearly at the back door of the hall). My family also provided a wooden model examination piece of pulpit stairs and a scout master's warrant (signed by Baden-Powell) belonging to my grandfather. Ex-Mapledene pupil, Margaret Newton, lent some of her Japanese(?) dolls in a glass case that her globe-trotting brother bought for her, (she brought them into school circa. 1957). Does anyone else remember this show?
View attachment 137286
The bier does still exist .

Last edited:
Love this church was there last year took loads of great photos plus they opened church up for me
great stuff
Do you have any photos of the stained glass windows? The church recently was broken into, and one window was damaged, we are desperately trying to find a picture of it .

Do you have any photos of the stained glass windows? The church recently was broken into, and one window was damaged, we are desperately trying to find a picture of it .
There are also some close up pictures on page 1 of this thread that I took some years ago

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 8
Back