• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Gerards Hospital, Coleshill

The person you need to contact is Kevin McCaffrey, at The Father Hudson Society, Coventry Road Coleshill, he will decide whether or not visits are permitted, would love to hear how you get on!
Sue

hi deb i was aso there when millicent martin came i ave a couple of photos of myself and a couple of girls on my ward i think it was called the annex do you remember the nun who gave us cut out dolls and clothes

hi ann i do remember having the cut out dolls but not the nuns name,my bed was in front of the patio doors my memory is hazy but i think there was a piano by my bed.

hi ann there was one girl her name may have been fiona she was very thin and very weak but always cheerfull she spent all of her childhood there.one thing makes me smile the tv news said someone escaped from somewhere close by anyway it was a very stormy night and the patio doors flew open and the kids were under the bed clothes screaming that the escapee was
after us i'm 51 now but when i see a film with dark stormy nights i still think of that night <lol>

Is there anyone out there who was a patient or was connected with the hospital in the late 50s or early 60s?
I was a trainee nurse at St.Gerards early 1960's. Mother Catherine was in charge of the hospital. I remember Sr.Phillip, Sr.Beatrice ...can't put a name to the other nursing Sisters. Wards 7 & 8 were outside the hosp. way down a path & at 17 i was very scared alone on night duty. We lived in the nursing home and celebrities would visit ..The Rocking Berries was one band that i still have photo's. Nurses M.Gavaghan, B.Gavaghan, B.Dwyer, M.Wueschner.H.Casey, C.Dugan, A.Fahey.B.Cronin, P.Donohoe, A.Gallagher. Anyone out there that remembers any of the names ?

Hamill, I will ask my friends who were at St Gerards longer ago than myself.
Sister Beatrice is now in Dawlish, Devon but hoping to go back to Ireland and Sister Maria (physio) is at Selly Park Convent,a little confused and weak I understand.
Will post again if I find anything else out.
Sue

I'm the person who started this thread and I've been reading all the post with great interest. I was a patient on and off from 1957 to 1963. I spent time in Ward 1 (near The Terrace where the babies were) and also on Ward 8, down the ramp. Although I had polio in 1955 and had several operations to my foot, I basically enjoyed my time there although there were probably times when I hated it! Had lots of fun and laughter and made some very good friendships although I don't keep in touch with anyone except a nurse, Jean Donnelly from c. 1961! The nuns referred to were Sister Philip, Wards 1 and 2b(girls shortstay). Sister Kevan, Wards 3 & 4 (boys short stay), Sister Eta (we thought it was Sister Rita!) Wards 5 & 6 (boys, long stay) and Sister Brendan Wards 7 & 8 (girls Longstay). My surgeon was Mr Innes and there was Mr Allan and Mr Penrose. Theatre days on Ward 1 were very sombre affairs. Very quiet and you could see the figures of the surgeons and nurses dressed in white through the kitchen window!!! Mrs G was the cleaner on Wards 1 & 2 and she put the fear of God into us all. She always called me Ingram!!! Sister Aloyuishus (sp) was the Sister Tutor, Sister Veronica was head mistress, Sister Marianne was the teacher on Ward 8. Betty and Maud were the cleaners on Wards 7 & 8 and Henry Plumb, formerly Sir Henry Plumb and now Lord Plumb was the local farmer who used to deliver milk to the wards in person. He had a boy working with him called Terry! I remember the willow tree with the statue. I had my first kiss under that willow tree in 1962. There was a boy called Trevor Salter who was on Ward 5 and we used to write silly letters to each other. Once day, it was arranged we would meet. He hobbled across behind the trees on his crutches and I hobbled across in my leg plaster from the opposite direction of Ward 8. We duly did the deed but then I panicked and ran away! He was left standing there crutchless. What made it so bad was that nurses and patients were watching from the end window of Ward 8!!!! Other names that come to mind Nurses Nolan, Daley, Granahan, Fahey, latterly Salmon. Met up with Geraldine Hunt at a B&B which she runs in Grange over Sands last year! She nursed there in the mid 60's after I left. Other patients, Theresa Southam, Bridget Brierley, Ann Print, Jackie Clamp, Kay Spittlehouse, Denise Coleman, Sheila Andrews, Tessa Roberts and I remember the girl referred to as Fiona. She had cerebal palsy and was very disabled when I knew her. Some nurses used to smack her when she was about 4 dor 5 and say "You're a bold girl Fiona Walsh!" just because she had wet herself. She had no control over her bladder or bowels whatsoever. The creeps wouldn't get away with it now. I think it's called ABUSE???? She used to have terrible sores on her bottom as she was left in wet nappies for too long and they were never washed properly, but rinsed out!!! I remember Sister Mary (who was also in charge of the physiotherapy unit) used to relieve Sister Brenda when she went to early mass on a Sunday. She used to come round and smack us with crutches to wake us up........:(((( She would also yank at our hair and pull on our rollers which really hurt. There was a lovely one called Sister Rose, who was an absolute sweetie! Celebs who came while I was there were Russ Conway, Jimmie Clitheroe, Mark Wynter, Kaye Sisters, Margaret Lockwood, Mr Pastry, WHAT A MEMORY EH? I am now 65 and live in Colchester with my husband Jim. I lived in Swansea for over 30 years before that. Left Brum in 1969

Forgot to say that if you want to see pictures of the old place go to www.derelictplaces.co.uk We visit the old place every couple of years and have taken lots of photos. We just go in and hope that no one stops us. Wards 7 & 8 are derelict but there are lots of relicts inside which you can see. You will be able to view it from the above website

I remember a lot of these names. Do you remember me? Ingrid Martin?
I was a trainee nurse at St.Gerards early 1960's. Mother Catherine was in charge of the hospital. I remember Sr.Phillip, Sr.Beatrice ...can't put a name to the other nursing Sisters. Wards 7 & 8 were outside the hosp. way down a path & at 17 i was very scared alone on night duty. We lived in the nursing home and celebrities would visit ..The Rocking Berries was one band that i still have photo's. Nurses M.Gavaghan, B.Gavaghan, B.Dwyer, M.Wueschner.H.Casey, C.Dugan, A.Fahey.B.Cronin, P.Donohoe, A.Gallagher. Anyone out there that remembers any of the names ?

Ingrid, have just looked at your link, so sad to see it looking like that, hope you don't mind I have passed the lin on to my friends who used to work there too.
Sue

No probs! The photos are of Wards 7 and 8 as it was in my day although obviously in a mess now. In fact, the beds I used to be in are probably those shown in the picture. Also, the bath is one I used hundreds of times. It was to make me a very quick bather as there was always someone waiting to use it afterwards. People often are amazed at how quick I am in the bath or shower and that's the reason why!! I see someone called Hamill. Was that your name when nursing. It rings a bell. Were you blonde and started working on Ward 8 in September/November 1963? There was a nurse I remember with a similar name and she was 17 in the November of 1963 the same as me! Wonder if you are that same person?

I spent 2 weeks convalecence in St Gerrards Hospital when I was about 12 in 1942 after a spell in the General Hospital. I cannot recall which ward I was in but it appeared to be run by Nuns who were very kind (and very mysterious to me at the time) . Eric

Last edited:
My name was Ethna Hamill & yes i was blonde. I didn't stay long at St.Gerards..can't remember how long... went to London. I remember Sheila Andrews & i can see lots of faces but can't put a name to them. Will have to find a photo taken with some patients & try to name them. I remember all the nuns you mentioned.

I am sure it is you that I remember. Were you 17 in November 1963? That is the main clue? Also did you work on Wards 7 and 8!

Yes i was 17 in Nov.1963 and worked on wds. 7&8. Were you one of the patients on that ward ? I remember the older girls used to learn typing skills and did their typing to music.

Yes, it is you Ethna, I remember now you had an unusual name. You had blonde boufant hair which stood out from the others. Do you remember your pink striped uniform!! I was the oldest patient in hospital in Sept/Nov and as such had certain privileges. I was allowed to go out into Coleshill during the day on my own for instance. Also, as I had left school, I did not have to suffer Sister Marianne!!! I went to visit her in the early 80's with my two children. She died a good while ago now. My email is [email protected] Will send you some pics if you make contact with me xx

Hi I was in St Gerrard from 1962 for a whole year. Remember seeing Frank Ifield who came for a visit and Irene Hendel (Michelle Drayne)

Back