• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Georges School, early 60.s

stef

knowlegable brummie
My wife went to this school when she lived in Wheeler street from 1957 till 1965, she remembers playing in Burbury park. Does anyone remember this school or have any photographs. It seems to have disappeared like a lot of memorable places.

could i once again remind members to check before starting a new thread under forum rules/general enquires...we do have sections for most subjects and your enquiry will fair better if posted under the correct section of the forum..

stef we have threads specifically for burbury st park and wheeler st with lots of photos on them you need to type in what you are searching for in the search box..also somewhere on the forum should be a side on view of the old st georges school which could be under the great russell st thread i am moving this thread to the schools section of the forum...hope this helps

lyn

Somewhat confused by this post. St George's School was on the corner of Plough and Harrow Road and Beaufort Rd in Edgbaston. A long way from Burberry St and Wheeler St,Hockley.
There are some excellent photos of St George's School on Mac Joseph's site,Old Ladywood.
I attended this school from about 1958 until early 1963 until I moved to Farm St School, Hockley.
Good luck in your search.

NoddKD

Somewhat confused by this post. St George's School was on the corner of Plough and Harrow Road and Beaufort Rd in Edgbaston. A long way from Burberry St and Wheeler St,Hockley.
There are some excellent photos of St George's School on Mac Joseph's site,Old Ladywood.
I attended this school from about 1958 until early 1963 until I moved to Farm St School, Hockley.
Good luck in your search.

NoddKD

i naturally assumed that stefs wife attended st georges school newtown nodd which was built to replace the original st georges school which was demolished many years ago

lyn

lyn

Last edited:
i naturally assumed that stefs wife attended st georges school newtown nodd which was built to replace the original st georges school which was demolished many years ago

lyn

lyn

Hi Lyn, I had no idea that there was another school called St George's.
As the old saying goes "you learn something new every day":):)

Nodd KD, up to date on schools

we never stop learning nodd...all of my children attended st georges newtown and mom and dad were married at the nearby st georges church in 1950..the church was demolished in 1960 but the graveyard still remains which includes the tomb of thomas rickman who designed the church also in the churchyard is a ww1 memorial with all the names of the local men who lost their lives...here endeth the first lesson :D

lyn

we never stop learning nodd...all of my children attended st georges newtown and mom and dad were married at the nearby st georges church in 1950..the church was demolished in 1960 but the graveyard still remains which includes the tomb of thomas rickman who designed the church also in the churchyard is a ww1 memorial with all the names of the local men who lost their lives...here endeth the first lesson :D

lyn
Hi Lyn, can't think why I didn't know of St George's in Newtown. As a nipper living in Hockley we roamed far and wide in the local area. You would think a school with the same name as one I had attended would stick in the mind. Perhaps I did know at the the time but the woolly memory let me down!

PS, what where you doing up at 05:00?
Nodd the Nosey.

sleep pattern shot to bits nodd has been for many years :rolleyes: i just get on with it though

lyn

sleep pattern shot to bits nodd has been for many years :rolleyes: i just get on with it though

lyn
My sympathy Lyn. Suffer the same myself. Tried everything, no drinking,no tea,coffee, bed early or late. Even tried natural sleeping aids such as Nytol all to no avail.
As you say we have to soldier on.;)

Nodd the sleepy.

My sympathy Lyn. Suffer the same myself. Tried everything, no drinking,no tea,coffee, bed early or late. Even tried natural sleeping aids such as Nytol all to no avail.
As you say we have to soldier on.;)

Nodd the sleepy.

:rolleyes: :)

My wife went to this school when she lived in Wheeler street from 1957 till 1965, she remembers playing in Burbury park. Does anyone remember this school or have any photographs. It seems to have disappeared like a lot of memorable places.
stef did your wife go to the old original st georges school ..reason i ask is because i dont know the year it was demolished and replaced by the new school which is still there

lyn

She believes the old one she was there in 63.
thought it was that one... as i said in an earlier post somewhere on the forum is just a little side shot of the old st georges. school ....from memory i think it could be on the great russell street thread as again from memory that is where the school was

lyn

Hi Lyn; think the new comprehensive school opened in 1968 (I started there 5 years later). Adjoining Infants and Junior Schools must have been there from earlier in the sixties as I started at the infants school in 1967.

Hi Lyn; think the new comprehensive school opened in 1968 (I started there 5 years later). Adjoining Infants and Junior Schools must have been there from earlier in the sixties as I started at the infants school in 1967.
thanks mark...i guessed the new one opened round about 68

lyn

Back