• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Georges Hospital circa 1851

B

Barbara Anne

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which type of hospital St Georges Hospital was around 1851?
Only location I have is from the 1851 census which gives parish as
Saint George, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
Thanks
Barbara Anne

Hi Barbara anne,
I wonder if you could mean,Hospital Street which was in the parish of St George in Hockley.
Moss.

You don't mean St Georges Stafford which was a mental hospital where shellshock victims were sometimes looked after do you??

Hi,
Sorry, no to both replies.
I have the census refs: 1851 :
RG no H0107 Piece: 2058 Folio : 44 Page 44

This is definitely a hospital in Birmingham.
I was searching for a William Owen b somewhere around 1800 who seems otherwise missing from the census. The William Owen here is age 47 birth yr 1804 boatman , b Stone , Staffs.
I think this is probably not my man, but was interested to find out what sort of place this was. There are more inmates/patients on the previous page.
thanks for your time
Barbara

Barbara
I assume you are looking at the transcription. It seems to have been misstranscribed, and should actually be "General Hospital" in summer Lane
I attach the original so you can see
Mike

Hi
Thanks to everyone, especially Mike, Suzanne and Colin.
Yes it has been mistranscribed as you say Mike, I was looking at the transcription. That does explain why I could not find anything about a St Georges Hospital in Birmingham.
The info from Suzanne is also most welcome, thank you.
What a helpful forum, so glad to have rejoined.
Barbara

Back