• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Gabriel's Italian Church Deritend

Hello, I am looking for an old picture of St Gabriel's Church which was situated on Pickford Street/Barn Street, Birmingham.
If anyone knows where I can locate such a picture I would be most grateful please.
Thank you.
St Gabriel's was situated between Barn St & Pickford St and can be seen here behind the van in the photo thats parked outside a shop in Barn St. (Digbeth Barn St Gabriel's 1934).

Attachments

• St Gabriel's was situated between Barn St & Pickford St and can be seen here behind the van in...jpg
    St Gabriel's was situated between Barn St & Pickford St and can be seen here behind the van in...jpg
    124 KB · Views: 33
Hi,

I can only post a few images from the inside of the building from 2015. The building suffered again from a fire next door, the sheesha lounge in 2013. I saved some charred wood pieces after the fire that I am currently incorporating into a contemporary sculptural art piece.
The building had a series of unfortunate events (from what I can tell, research, archives and forums...). Walking up the tower was yet another experience. You feel pain, fear and sadness. IMG_4313.JPGIMG_4316.JPGIMG_4324.JPGIMG_4331.JPGIMG_4335.JPGIMG_4342.JPGIMG_4359.JPG

Hi,

I can only post a few images from the inside of the building from 2015. The building suffered again from a fire next door, the sheesha lounge in 2013. I saved some charred wood pieces after the fire that I am currently incorporating into a contemporary sculptural art piece.
The building had a series of unfortunate events (from what I can tell, research, archives and forums...). Walking up the tower was yet another experience. You feel pain, fear and sadness. View attachment 150822View attachment 150823View attachment 150824View attachment 150825View attachment 150826View attachment 150827View attachment 150828
Thank you for sharing these images, I’ve been researching my family history and my great great grandmother married in St Gabriels. I had hoped to visit as I’m in Birmingham for a business event in February (2022). Such a shame to see history being damaged so basdly.

My Grandfather Richard Baker married Beatrice Marshall there 12th September 1904.View attachment 150088
Hi
My Grandparents got married at Saint Gabriels in 1901, and they were both of the parish. Does anybody know which area this would be covered by on the 1901 census please?

Best wishes
Alison

Attachments

• Albert Harry Wilkins b.1881 m. 17 Jun 1901 Lucy Palmer.jpg
    Albert Harry Wilkins b.1881 m. 17 Jun 1901 Lucy Palmer.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks so much. I am having difficulty finding them on the 1901 census. George Wilkins a Horsedealer. Albert Harry Wilkins a tubedrawer, Lucy or William Palmer. I know you said
Sometimes a little fib is told so you can be married in that parish. Could that apply to both bride and groom?

I find it odd it doesn't give an address but just says "in the parish".
If they liked a particular church sometimes a friend's address was used if within that parish.
They could be anywhere on the census.

Thanks so much. I am having difficulty finding them on the 1901 census. George Wilkins a Horsedealer. Albert Harry Wilkins a tubedrawer, Lucy or William Palmer. I know you said
Sometimes a little fib is told so you can be married in that parish. Could that apply to both bride and groom?

No reason they both couldn't be lying.

I can't see Albert or George. Would George be dead by then perhaps and his wife (Matilda ?) ? In which case a young man with no parents could be moving about quite a bit and be easily missed off a census.

Are you looking for Lucy as well? She seems to be in Northfield with her mother, father has died.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
I thought Lucy may be in Northfield but wedding certificate doesn't say her father is deceased.
Thanks for mentioning Matilda as I thought that may be Albert's mother but wasn't sure either. I think he may have two brothers Frank and William Wilkins. Is that where you found Matilda on 1881 census? All very confusing.

I thought Lucy may be in Northfield but wedding certificate doesn't say her father is deceased.

I have certs where I know the Father is deceased and it doesn't say. I think it depends whether they said, whether they were asked what was recorded

Thanks for mentioning Matilda as I thought that may be Albert's mother but wasn't sure either. I think he may have two brothers Frank and William Wilkins. Is that where you found Matilda on 1881 census? All very confusing.

The 1881 and the birth reg.

I can give you more details if you want them but we're in danger of taking over this thread. So if you want to start a thread Wilkins/Palmer or something similar, I will do. No probs if you don't.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Back