• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Edwards

L

leelou

I know Aston had many churches and that they are not now called by their original names and many have been demolished :angel:. I'm trying to find pictures of St. Pauls and also St Edwards that were both of the New John Street West to Lozells Road area of Aston in the 1900's.? Do they still stand or where might I find pictures?
Leelou

ST Pauls

Not sure if this is the one you want, but I have it in my file as St Paul's Lozells. Someone else maybe able to tell you if it's the right one.
Sorry don't have one of St Ed's

Pom :angel:

Attachments

• Lozells Lozells Rd St Pauls Church 1914.JPG
    Lozells Lozells Rd St Pauls Church 1914.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
St Pauls Lozells

That's the one Pom nice view of the church it as been refurbished by the Black community of Lozells not sure of the denomination must have a ride over there and ask one of the days
Merry Cristmas Chris

Nice pics of St.Paul's but feeling a bit sad as just found out my grandparents married in 1929 at St Edwards so would have been nice to see a pic of that - how very dare them bombers!!!

Good luck with your research

Kaz :eek:)))

Just returned from visit from birmingham library and there is a picture of St Edwards church new john street west. It is a chapel type church built within a row of other buildings. It has St Georges sign outside as it was renamed for a while before it was demolished. They won't photocopy items at the library and you have to order prints which are pricey. Remember to take id if you want to see it if you're not a birmingham library user (I'm from Wolverhampton) as they didn't want me to view it!:)

St Edwards Church

I lived in Hospital Street from 1945 till 1963.As a young boy I remember playing in the bombed ruins of St Edwards Church.From memory it lay well back off New John Street,and I think the photo Leelou has seen was the entrance to a courtyard in front of St Edwards and not the actual church.
Maurice

st edwards church

Hi maurice, just came across your info about st edwards church i wandered where that church was has one of my ancesters got married there in 1910 they were from Hospital st so now i know thanks. I have a lot of family from there my grandad was born in hospital st there surname was Perry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rosie,
Im sorry but the name Perry doesnt ring a bell.The exact location of St Edwards is behind the BOX CARTON works.
Maurice

Back