• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Edmunds Tyseley

robert

master brummie
Does anyone have any memories or photos of St Edmunds Church hall. I recall it being a green timber building standing next to the Church and opposite Formans rd School. It was used for Scouts and Cubs groups, iwould like to know if it was used to mark celibrations such as coranations, or if any thing took place in Reddings Lane park just over the road.

Thanks Robert

HI ROBERT
I lived in Formans Rd and went to the school 1945-1950. It was our school church. I also had my weeding bans read there in 1961.
During the war there was a large water reservoir built on the rec just across from the school were the community centre is now.
At the far end were the swings and rounderbouts and the parkeepers hut. It seems hard to believe that on the large expance of
green between the reservoir and the swings we were not aloud th play any ball games. This carried on well after they drained and dismantalethe reservoir
Hope this helps
KEN

Hi Ken Thanks for your reply. didnt know about the reservoir, but remember the parkies hut there was also a nursery in the middle next to the sub station. do you remember if there were any parties for the Queens coronation ect.

Robert.

Thanks dwilly. Ive come across those sites. there isnt a lot of info about Tyseley any where so every little helps.

Thanks Robert.

HI ROBERT
Thanks for your reply. I can not remember a nursery?? what year was that. I moved to Great BARR IN 1961 after getting married.
As for any parties, i was 17 in 1952 and was more interested in girls, dancing and playing football. If you go on to the Acocks Green
historical site you will find loads on Tyseley andSparkhill.
ken

HI ROBERT
You are in luck. Ihave just spoken to my sister. She is 6 years younger than me. We lived in Formans Rd oposite Bromyard Rd.
The street parties were normally held up the opening next to what was Claytons fish shop. On coronation day the party was moved
to Formans Rd school hall as it was a wet day. She tells me that she won first prize in the fancy dress . As i said before i had other interests.
KEN

Thanks ken, theres a little picture begining to build up now. The nursery was behind the toilets, i cant remember them ever being open i think they were demolished in 1960.

Last edited:
Yes Ken, it went some time ago. I lived behind the Church and from our bedroom window we could see the vicarage being built, round about 1960.

Hi, I've just found this thread.
Yes there was a nursery in the Rec, I went to it. I can remember little canvas beds that we slept on. Could have been around 1948/49.

I also sang in St Edmund's church choir for many years probably 1957/1960.
Eventually became head boy. I sang solos at weddings while the couple were signing the register. Earned two shillings for that.
Mr Vernon was the choir master/organist. His nickname was Pop!
Probably because to us he was a thousand years old!

The green corrugated church hall was where the vicarage was build eventually. Cubs, scouts and guides met there.

I think the nursery was built during the early war years and was run by Birmingham Council to enable mothers to go to do war work. I remember playing hookey from York Road School one afternoon with a friend around 1943 and visiting this nursery to see if we could help to look after the babies there and being told we were too young - we were seven years old.
I also remember the War Memorial at St.Edmunds being dedicated and I also used to go to Beetle Drives held in theChurch Hall and my eldest daughter was christened there in 1959.

Back