• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Cuthberts Childrens' Hospital annexe to Birmingham Childrens Hospital

i believe my brother went there from the childrens hospital in the late 1930s. I think it was called the Hugh Sumner home connected with the Typhoo tea firm. It was a large house opposite the Malvern Links.

Thank you for that lead, Ken. That information is certainly new to me. The Best of Health website of Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund provides a photo. I certainly recall the building being large, though it is not the side orientation that stayed in my memory.

I've been researching a Malvern convalescent home I went to on another site, I think it's the one in the above picture of which I have some recent photos after visting there last year. In that thread is a picture of St Cuthberts

Ray

Thank you, Forward. That is more like the building as I remember it through the eyes of a young child. I had given up hope of finding such a picture of the front elevation. It means a lot. It does look diffrent to the building in the 1st photo, but fits better with my memory.

This is front elevation of the other picture - trust them to be painting it, but you get some idea.

Ray

Info given to me

171 Worcester Rd St Cuthberts
141 Worcester Rd Summerfields

Ray

Thank you Forward. Was the old building added to? The roof in the 1st & 3rd pics looks different from that in the 2nd. I do remember the formal drive & lawn at the front & the large flat grounds at the back of the building, but I am still confused by the different photos. It is a long time since I was there, however.

Hi,

Yes I was also confused, but as info comes in it’s getting clearer.

The first and third pic (White building)are the same building although quite some time in-between pics and it looks to me as if part of the roof line has been changed to accommodate more flats?. The lawn that the kids are playing on in pic 1 now belongs to the next block of flats up.

The second pic is a different building, that’s St Cuthbert’s.

The confusion may come from as although they’re separate buildings they were run as one unit.

Ray

My sister, Linda Joy Gould, born in 1945 was taken away by ambulance when she was about 2 years old. She was diagnosed with rhuematoid arthrirtis and became an in-patient at the Childrens Hospital for a year or more before being transffered to St Cuthberts at Malvern. Then she spent some time at another place in Bournmoth, then she was moved again. This time it was to a mansion in Oakham in Rutland that was used by the USAF during the war then it was left empty and became a convascent home. She finally came home for good when she was fourteen and attended what used to be Hartfield Crescent School but had by now changed to Harrison Barrows Girls School. My parents were told she would never be able to lead a normal life but she worked at Filleries I think it was, in Tysely, then she did a short time at The Brooke Tool with my dad and then went up the Warwick Rd to Klaxon Horns. She became unable to work and eventually passed away age 45. We were told that the drugs she was given as a youngster had weakened her heart and eventually caused her death. I have a photo of her and a member of staff at St Cuthberts which I will sort out and post.

I think I went to St Cuthberts back in 1956/7 (or there abouts) when I was 10 I had Asian Flue, Yellow Jaundice and Glandular fever in a 12 month period and was sent to a Convalescence home at Malvern Link. I cant remember where about except it was on a main road, we used to go walking up the Malvern Hills.

Back