• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Clements School Nechells

I didn't know the school used to be there, I imagined the old school was an extension of St Clements Church. I've only got good memories of the new school, somehow it gave me a good start in life anyway. I hope you have got good memories of the old school.

I loved being a schoolboy. Looking back, though, my education was poor. Firstly, more emphasis at St Clements was on religion. Hence, I was totally unprepared to pass the eleven-plus exam. At senior school, Charles Arthur Street, the education was even more lacking. I have had a lifetime to know that much.

Yes there isn't much call for careers in religious studies! The only bad memory I've got of primary school was crying because I couldn't do the maths!

I loved the building. I actually drove down Long Acre yesterday and still think it was a gross error to wipe away two whole blocks of shops and houses and my lovely School and put a supermarket in place. I don't really miss Newton's factory although it is forever in my memory.

I loved the building. I actually drove down Long Acre yesterday and still think it was a gross error to wipe away two whole blocks of shops and houses and my lovely School and put a supermarket in place. I don't really miss Newton's factory although it is forever in my memory. Thanks for posting this brilliant photo.

ivor i am quite sure that your sentiments are shared with many of our members..at least we have our memories..they cant take them away:)

lyn

Phil,
Only just caught up with this thread. I spent most of my schooldays at St Clements.
We lived with my gran in Mount Street, after the house I was born in was war damaged.
At that time the school was infant, junior and seniors.

I started in 1942 at the age of four and stayed until 1946 when sadly my parents were re-housed to Sparkbrook and had to attend Christ Church Junior School on Stratford Road. I hated it.

In 1949 I left there aged Eleven and after much wrangling and cajoling with the Education Department in Margaret Street, they agreed to pay my bus fares to go back to St Clements Secondary Modern. So I travelled there every day on two buses.
After the summer holidays in 1953 it changed to being just infants and juniors, so I was one of the last intake to finish schooling there. I feel very lucky to have been there at that time.
I could name many of the teachers and fellow pupils but you would not have known them because they all finished at the same time and new primary teachers were started for the Autumn term.
I hope you hear more stories from your contemporaries, maybe even some of mine. Good luck.

Bryan

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a juniorin the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a junior in the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.
Tony Underwood : inremember your name, too! I was born in 1945. What year were you born?

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a juniorin the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.

hi ivor..although tony underwood is still a member he has not been seen on the forum since 2012...just thought i would let you know

lyn

I cant quite work out where to write, sorry. I used to live in the sweet shop a few doors away. My mom, sister and me. We had a little dog called Sandy. I vaguely remember a teacher called Miss Davies (maybe). I used to sit on the high counter stool, shovelling sweets into triangular bags as kids came in. I remember a Lynda, and a David (Slumberland?)

good evening all
i am getting concerned i think i must have been the only one that went to st clements i was only there till about 1958 when we moved to kingshurst
but i have fond memories of the school and i would be interested in seeing any photos of the school from that time, the two teachers that stick in my mind are miss jaques a west indian teacher,and miss beecroft who tried to teach me arithmitic but to no avail, so come all you st clements scholars give some memories to an "old git" and make him happy!
phil
I remember Miss Jaques but I have always thought she was Indian. My younger sister, Linda loved Miss Jaques, but Miss Jaques was new to the school the year after I had gone into Class Two.

Back