• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Clements School Nechells

philbee

birmingham born and bred
hi all
its a bit late timewise [12.30am] i have been reading through this interesting website and so many memories came back i am just going to throw in this schools name and see what comes back st clements school nechells 1952/53 to 1958/59 , miss jaques the first west indian teacher i had ever seen i was there from the age of five till eight when we moved to kingshurst . any memories?

Hi PhilBee,
What I remember of St. Clements is that a few of us from Charlie Arthur Street used to play soccer against a lot of your boys many nights after school in this playground at the back of the woodwork class. Happy Days!

good evening all
i am getting concerned i think i must have been the only one that went to st clements i was only there till about 1958 when we moved to kingshurst
but i have fond memories of the school and i would be interested in seeing any photos of the school from that time, the two teachers that stick in my mind are miss jaques a west indian teacher,and miss beecroft who tried to teach me arithmitic but to no avail, so come all you st clements scholars give some memories to an "old git" and make him happy!
phil

hi all
its a bit late timewise [12.30am] i have been reading through this interesting website and so many memories came back i am just going to throw in this schools name and see what comes back st clements school nechells 1952/53 to 1958/59 , miss jaques the first west indian teacher i had ever seen i was there from the age of five till eight when we moved to kingshurst . any memories?
my daughter went to that school about 1963 her nam was Lynda Harrison

Hi, I went to St clements 1951 to 1957 and then to charles arthur st, have lots of memories of itm, knew miss beeccroft and miss jacques and my mother was assistant cook there foe some years, we lived over the wall in high park st

Does anyone have any school photos from saint Clements school nechells from 1966 to 1968 and do any of you remember the Durrant family from penstone terrace off Trevor street
Regards
Ross Durrant

good evening all
i am getting concerned i think i must have been the only one that went to st clements i was only there till about 1958 when we moved to kingshurst
but i have fond memories of the school and i would be interested in seeing any photos of the school from that time, the two teachers that stick in my mind are miss jaques a west indian teacher,and miss beecroft who tried to teach me arithmitic but to no avail, so come all you st clements scholars give some memories to an "old git" and make him happy!
phil
Hi. Phil! I've just found your post eight years later than yours. I as at st Clements until 1956. I remember miss Jaques. She was my sister, Linda Williams, teacher. Linda
loved her. Miss Beecrft was an awful woman. Hard! I am writing a book about my time in Nechells. I loved the old school. It was beautiful. It was criminal to demolish it. Nechells, at that time, still retained its village identity. Present day Nechells and Aston have been reduced to clearways. Sad!

st clements 1959.e.jpg hi ivor i have this one but it was taken in 1959 by which time you had left st clems..

lyn

st clements 1959.e.jpg

st clem 1.jpg

Attachments

• st clem 2.jpg
    st clem 2.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 43
  • st clem 3.jpg
    st clem 3.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 36
  • st clem 4.jpg
    st clem 4.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 36
  • st clem 5.jpg
    st clem 5.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 34
wonderful photos john...thanks for sharing them..do you have a date for them/??

lyn

Hi. Phil! I've just found your post eight years later than yours. I as at st Clements until 1956. I remember miss Jaques. She was my sister, Linda Williams, teacher. Linda
loved her. Miss Beecrft was an awful woman. Hard! I am writing a book about my time in Nechells. I loved the old school. It was beautiful. It was criminal to demolish it. Nechells, at that time, still retained its village identity. Present day Nechells and Aston have been reduced to clearways. Sad!
Miss Jacques was from India. She wasn't from the West Indies. Mr Lewis was my teacher when I went into Class Two. He gave me the lead role in my first play. He left the school to get married when I went into Class One. A lot of us kids were sent to wave goodbye to him on the day he left. He got into a car that had arrived to collect him. One of the photographs shows a large mixed group and a number of adults gathered together in the Girls Playground. They have their backs to the steps into the Boys Playground. One of the adults is Mr Newman. He started at our school on the first day back at school after the summer break. I liked him. He was great. The photograph was taken after I had left for Charlie Arthur. I recognise a boy on the back row called Michael Cassidy.

Tony Underwood: I know your name but can't remember what you looked like. What year were you born? Did you know Margaret Lyons? She lived in one of the houses over the wall in High Park Street. She was born in 1944/5

The boy on the back row, 5th from the left is Clive Dobson in the photo of Saint Clements,around 1952 , with Mr Lewis, extreme right.

Last edited:
I went to St Clements in the 1970's - Mr Grunnell was the Headteacher when I started but can't for the life of me remember the name of the bloke who was Headteacher for most of the time I was there - typical - not paying attention as usual - always shouting at me cos I was usually late :) Mrs Fletcher played the piano in assembly, Mrs Bissell was the Secretary, my favourite teacher was Mr Davies. Also remember Mrs Feeley and Mrs Skinner in the first class, now called Reception.

Back