• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Chads Schools

Hi Tom, thanks for confirming that you are in the photo. I am also in the top row third from the right, I still see Jimmy Elwood, Denise Lonsdale, Marie O'Niell,
Betty Stebbings and Frances McMahon to name but a few we meet up several times during the course of the year, our next meet is on the 26th of November.

Regards

Dave Ed

Hi i would love to catch sometime And woul love to mert up with Michael McMahon again QUOTE=Dave Ed;559777]Hi Tom, thanks for confirming that you are in the photo. I am also in the top row third from the right, I still see Jimmy Elwood, Denise Lonsdale, Marie O'Niell,
Betty Stebbings and Frances McMahon to name but a few we meet up several times during the course of the year, our next meet is on the 26th of November. Hi i would love to catch up at sometime and would love to see Michael McMahon again

Regards

Dave Ed[/QUOTE]

I was at St Chads from infants through to seniors. I left in Summer of 1964 after staying on to do my GCE's I was in Mr Begleys class for 5th form but remember getting the cane from him before I was in his class. I alsdo remember Mr Conklin who prefered to use the slipper (a black pump) Others I remmber of sourse the dreaded St Etna, Sr Veronica, Mr Byrne, Miss McMahon (with her ebony ruller that nearley broke your knuckles) There was a dinner lady whose name escapes me (perhaps Mrs Tomlinson or Mrs Thomas). I also remember a teacher who was quite posh and played hockey for England I think Mr?? In the Juniors I remember Mr Heneberry and Mr Wells. Maybe I am different but I loved it at School especially later when I stayed on-It made such a difference to my life espoecially Mr Begley. Does anyone remeber the air raid sirens that went off in the 50s/early 60s to signal when luch was over for the factories. Neweys factory and at the top of New John St West where it met Summer land and next to the Post Office was Perry pens that made Knibs for the pens.
Hi Tom
Good to meet up with you last year at the Burlington Hotel Doug Ellis awards night and catch up with old times; like you I lived in New John St West 1/32 and went to St Chads infants, Juniors and Senior schools, from 1952 - December 1962; many fond memories, my favourite teachers with out doubt was Mr Wells (Head of the Junior School) and Mr Lettington (Also Sports Teacher) at the Senior School, both Gentlemen. My sister Maureen also went to St Chads, as did my dad & all his brothers and sisters also my granddad and his brothers and sisters went, so long history.
My memories include mates like Mickey Allsopp, Norman Farmer (RIP), Joseph Bibby, Johnny Kelly, Brian Pettit, John Hunt, John Costello, Tony Bean, Chris Empinstall, Rob Mcanerny, Will Ryan, John Weller, Peter Connolly (RIP), Cornelious walsh, Joey Cooper, Trevor Johnston, David Hewitt; girls I remember are: Rae Shepherd, Helen Fentham, Nora Oprey, Christine Rowe, Rose McGary, Susan Harrison, Janet Matielo, Mary Clark, Catherine Bill, Angela Porter, Maureen Shufflebottom, Carol Hussey, Gillian Higgins and Margaret Ecclesford, all in my year group. (Apologies to any one I have missed out or names spelled incorrect)
I don't remember any school class or group photographs being taken of the above crowd; if there was and you have one it would be great if you could post it on the site, will add more another time.
Cheers
John Gibbons

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Johnny. A nice addition to this thread, thank you. Enjoy the forum and I hope some of those you've named see your post. Viv.

Hi all.
My brother went to St Chads he was born Dec 1944 so don't know what years. I think he may be pictured on the second photograph, 3rd lad top row from the left. His name is Jimmy Khannon. I would be interested anyone who knew him or Micheal Khannon.
Regards John
Hi John
I knew Jimmy your brother quite well in them days, I also knew Phil Khannon (Cannon) I believe he was Jimmys half brother; I played with Phil for Small Heath Unity in the South Birmingham Combination from 1964 - 1968, both good lads.
Cheers
John Gibbons

I note the McMahon name in this thread, I have been looking for a workmate who we knew as Wally McMahon back in the fifties/sixties at Watsons Garage in Villa street, he later worked at the Birmingham Mail fleet repair workshop where he had dropped the Wally (out of fashion?) and was called Bill.
His mother and the rest of the family lived in Granville Street. He married Doreen (I think that's correct) and lived in Nursery Road, they had a daughter Angelique.
Anyone have any ideas if he's still around?

Hi Marie. This site will close tonight for maintenance for a few days (see message in blue box above) so members may take a while to see your message. Do look in again in a few days. Viv.

I attended St. Chad's School as did my brothers and sisters. My brothers attended the boys school in Shadwell Street.
Headmaster Mr. Wells and there was Mr. Conklin and a Miss Croak (who also taught my father). My one brother played football and cricket for the school, he stayed on school to further his football. There were photographs of him in the school hall.
My older sister attended Brierly Street when it still an all girls school and she also came under the wrath of Sister Etna getting the cane daily for being late, no consideration was taken in to account that she had to drop my baby sister off at nursery and then
drag me screaming to the infants where Sister Philips was the head mistress. The school became co-educational
when I was 10 so I went to Shadwell street juniors and then back to Brierly Street. I remember teachers Miss Mac.Carthy who used
to poke you on the temple with a sharp pencil. Miss Tye who took us for singing. Miss Maley who would make you stand in the waste paper basket saying you were a bit of rubbish. I had Mr. Begley in my final year as I stayed on at school to do a Commerce Course.
Class members I recall, Josephine Atkinson, Ann Bill, Mary Caldicott, Eileen Trueman, Mary McMahon. Eileen Phelan Richard Bird,Brian Donnelly ? Pettitt ? Evans. I used to go to my grans at lunchtime she lived in New John Street West. I did stay school dinners until a teacher forced me to eat carrots (which I did not like) I was violently sick over her. I still can not them. Happy Days!!!

hi pauljon and welcome to the forum...very interesting post that you made..this is the only photo i have of st chads..not the best photo but better than nothing..

all the best

lyn

st chads brearley st.jpeg

hi pauljon and welcome to the forum...very interesting post that you made..this is the only photo i have of st chads..not the best photo but better than nothing..

all the best

lyn

View attachment 116006
Hi Lyn,
Thank you for your reply, also a photograph of the old school, always looked austere. I have been looking at the small bible that we were all given when we left school and there are lots of signatures in it from my class mates.
Lots of tales I have of the old school days. I left in July 1959. When were you there.

regards
Pauline

hi pauline please continue posting your memories of st chads and where you lived and lucky you to still have that bible..how wonderful.have to say i have always thought that st chads school looked very imposing..did you live in brearley st ? if so we do have a thread for brearley st

i didnt go to st chads i started off at alma st then farm st school and finally lozells girls

lyn

Last edited:
hi pauline please continue posting your memories of st chads and where you lived and lucky you to still have that bible..how wonderful.have to say i have always thought that st chads school looked very imposing..did you live in brearley st ? if so we do have a thread for brearley st

i didnt go to st chads i started off at alma st then farm st school and finally lozells girls

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I didn't live in Brearley Street. I lived in Bath Street opposite the Gunmaker's arms. I did post
on that site. I also have memories of the pub.
When I was in nursery at St. Chad's on an afternoon we would have to go for an afternoon
nap on little fold up cots. My friend Carol and I used to sneak outside and play in the sandpit
until we got caught, after that our cots were next to the teacher in the other room. We were three. There was a big rocking horse
in the hall and to go on it you had to pay a penny, didn't get to rock on it that often, as my mum couldn't afford it, she had to work hard to get money. To me it was a big treat and I had fond memories of rocking and riding to far off places.
I remembered queing up for a teaspoonful of cod liver oil (ugh) and as a sweetener we were given cup of orange juice.
We had our own little aprons and also a coloured cup with a toothbrush inside and we were all taught to clean our
teeth after meals. My friend Carol and I have remained friends for 70 years even though I moved to Yorkshire
and she to Cornwall. I now live in South Warwickshire.

Hi,
Haven't been on the site for a while, so I am just browsing through the posts. I still have my leaving Missal with some names written in, I left in 1961.
It's great to read everyone's memories. Keep them coming.

Denise

I attended St. Chad's School as did my brothers and sisters. My brothers attended the boys school in Shadwell Street.
Headmaster Mr. Wells and there was Mr. Conklin and a Miss Croak (who also taught my father). My one brother played football and cricket for the school, he stayed on school to further his football. There were photographs of him in the school hall.
My older sister attended Brierly Street when it still an all girls school and she also came under the wrath of Sister Etna getting the cane daily for being late, no consideration was taken in to account that she had to drop my baby sister off at nursery and then
drag me screaming to the infants where Sister Philips was the head mistress. The school became co-educational
when I was 10 so I went to Shadwell street juniors and then back to Brierly Street. I remember teachers Miss Mac.Carthy who used
to poke you on the temple with a sharp pencil. Miss Tye who took us for singing. Miss Maley who would make you stand in the waste paper basket saying you were a bit of rubbish. I had Mr. Begley in my final year as I stayed on at school to do a Commerce Course.
Class members I recall, Josephine Atkinson, Ann Bill, Mary Caldicott, Eileen Trueman, Mary McMahon. Eileen Phelan Richard Bird,Brian Donnelly ? Pettitt ? Evans. I used to go to my grans at lunchtime she lived in New John Street West. I did stay school dinners until a teacher forced me to eat carrots (which I did not like) I was violently sick over her. I still can not them. Happy Days!!!

Yes I remember sister edna very well she was a very violent nun hahah, she caned me 6 of the best on each hand, and because I would not cry she said she would break me, told me I would never amount to much I was thick very edifying I must say, haha I can laugh now but she did a lot of damage I went on to get a degree and several other certificates, I can recall some of the other teachers but none of the names of the students , I lived in porchester st, I remember one of the teachers smacking me across the face with a ruler because I got a spelling wrong, I think that would be classed as child abuse today

marie

Last edited:
hello marie...yet another sad story of teacher abuse on pupils and as you say this would not be tolerated in todays society...so pleased that you rose above it and did well though..:)

lyn

hello marie...yet another sad story of teacher abuse on pupils and as you say this would not be tolerated in todays society...so pleased that you rose above it and did well though..:)

lyn
yes Astoness I did rise above even forgive her, the ironic thing is I went on to get a degree in theology and advance diploma in Christian ministry, and all this abuse did not come from the bible, so I guess some people are self made hahaha I'm good thank you x you know the old saying not all that glitters is gold x

I've just discovered this photo of St. Chad's in Brearley Street, it really has made my day (up until now I thought there was only one)!
32971346_10156332591043377_8558014416530964480_n.jpg

This is an enlargement of the school, itself.
2aos5a.jpg

Last edited:
excellent find BB..up until today there was only one photo available and we can even see the stag pub just a little way up...

cheers

lyn

excellent find BB..up until today there was only one photo available and we can even see the stag pub just a little way up...

cheers

lyn
Brought back memories for me I must say, Lyn. I remember the smell of the metal presses and stamps from the factories in Brearley Street when I attended the infant school. I also remember my mom wrapping a scarf around my head when the smog came down!

Brought back memories for me I must say, Lyn. I remember the smell of the metal presses and stamps from the factories in Brearley Street when I attended the infant school. I also remember my mom wrapping a scarf around my head when the smog came down!
Hi BB
Great find of the old St Chads school picture, brought back many memories, do you have any more, I remember we went on a coach trip to Trentham Gardens in Stoke and some group pupil pictures where taken in the grounds, but never saw them, may be because me and my mates nearly had the whole school group thrown out due to playing an in prompt football match on their perfect lawns; needless to say we where dragged up in front of the whole school assembly the next day and each given 6 of the best by Mr Begley; by this time Sister Ethna had realised she no longer had the power to really hurt us with the cane so that duty was delegated to Mr Begley for me and mates and didn't he seem to enjoy it.
Cheers
John Gibbons (Johnny Gibbo)

Hi All
I attended St Chad's Secondary School between 1968 and 1973 and have some fond memories of my time there (and some not so great). I still keep in touch with a group of classmates from the 4th and 5th years when we were studying for our CSE's with Sr Veronica and Mr Welton (maths & tech drawing). I still see Sr Veronica and we have some good laughs about our experiences at the school. I do recall some of the names listed in posting 8 - I had Miss O'Connor in 1st year, Miss McMahon and also a Welsh lady (can't recall her name just now) in 2nd year, Miss Tranter (later Mrs Hamilton) in 3rd year and of course Sr V for the final two years. I didn't have much to do with Mr Begley who I think left while I was in the 3rd or 4th year and Mr Cushnan replaced him (and who turned out to be a less desirable character than all the others). Sr Ethna was hard but the situation at that time required a hard leader and I know I had a few canings from her - especially in the first year and after one lunch time incident where a group of us were fooling around at a cake shop on Newtown Row which resulted in a broken window! I did have some poor photos of the school but haven't seen them for a while but should I find them I'll try and post them here. Interesting to hear if others have any photos as I know the hacking episode has resulted in earlier photos being no longer available.

Fred G
hi i remember miss tranter she smacked me across the face with a ruler because i got my spellings wrong hahaha child abuse

Hi Fred G
I admit it now. It was me who broke the window.
I feel pretty sure it is you in this line up, left next to Sean.
Hope you are well. This photo might get a few comments.
Let's see
Maurice Woulfe
Class 4 B St Chad's 1974.jpg

Back