• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Chads Schools

Just been looking at this Forum, read your post. I was at Saint Chad's from about 53 to leaving in 61. I remember Mr Wells with great fondness, he was a lovely man. I can't remember any of the other teachers from Shadwell St but I do remember quite a few from Brearly St. Miss Brennan with her "two bullets of the ruler". Mr. Conklin, Miss Tye, Mr Begley, Mr Byrne, Mr Lettington (gorgeous!), Mr Cawley, we called him "crawley" with his lecherous grin! The secretary's name was Mrs Ralph, she thought and acted like a teacher. Who could forget Sister Etna? I had many a caning from her just for the crime of being late. I confess I played truant quite a lot knowing I would get the cane if I went in late. I'm in touch with nine former St Chadonions. We meet up a few times a year for lunch, great to talk about old times.

Someone did post a couple of photos on Friends Reunited a few years ago, I don't know if there are still on it.
Regards

Hi all.
My brother went to St Chads he was born Dec 1944 so don't know what years. I think he may be pictured on the second photograph, 3rd lad top row from the left. His name is Jimmy Khannon. I would be interested anyone who knew him or Micheal Khannon.
Regards John

Hi John,

I vaguely recall your brothers name but time doe's dim the memory. The chap you mention in the photo I have been told is Billy Sheppard sadly no longer with us.

Regards

Dave

Hi John,

I do remember the names very well, but can't say I recognise your brother in the pic.

I left St Chad's in 1961.

Regards,
Denise

John and Jim. (2).jpg

Hi Denise This is the photograph taken about 1965. This is me with Jimmy. Taken outside my house in 66 Alma street . I went to Alma street school.
Regards John

I was at St Chads from infants through to seniors. I left in Summer of 1964 after staying on to do my GCE's I was in Mr Begleys class for 5th form but remember getting the cane from him before I was in his class. I alsdo remember Mr Conklin who prefered to use the slipper (a black pump) Others I remmber of sourse the dreaded St Etna, Sr Veronica, Mr Byrne, Miss McMahon (with her ebony ruller that nearley broke your knuckles) There was a dinner lady whose name escapes me (perhaps Mrs Tomlinson or Mrs Thomas). I also remember a teacher who was quite posh and played hockey for England I think Mr?? In the Juniors I remember Mr Heneberry and Mr Wells. Maybe I am different but I loved it at School especially later when I stayed on-It made such a difference to my life espoecially Mr Begley. Does anyone remeber the air raid sirens that went off in the 50s/early 60s to signal when luch was over for the factories. Neweys factory and at the top of New John St West where it met Summer land and next to the Post Office was Perry pens that made Knibs for the pens.

Hi Tom, thanks for confirming that you are in the photo. I am also in the top row third from the right, I still see Jimmy Elwood, Denise Lonsdale, Marie O'Niell,
Betty Stebbings and Frances McMahon to name but a few we meet up several times during the course of the year, our next meet is on the 26th of November.

Regards

Dave Ed

Hi i would love to catch sometime And woul love to mert up with Michael McMahon again QUOTE=Dave Ed;559777]Hi Tom, thanks for confirming that you are in the photo. I am also in the top row third from the right, I still see Jimmy Elwood, Denise Lonsdale, Marie O'Niell,
Betty Stebbings and Frances McMahon to name but a few we meet up several times during the course of the year, our next meet is on the 26th of November. Hi i would love to catch up at sometime and would love to see Michael McMahon again

Regards

Dave Ed[/QUOTE]

I was at St Chads from infants through to seniors. I left in Summer of 1964 after staying on to do my GCE's I was in Mr Begleys class for 5th form but remember getting the cane from him before I was in his class. I alsdo remember Mr Conklin who prefered to use the slipper (a black pump) Others I remmber of sourse the dreaded St Etna, Sr Veronica, Mr Byrne, Miss McMahon (with her ebony ruller that nearley broke your knuckles) There was a dinner lady whose name escapes me (perhaps Mrs Tomlinson or Mrs Thomas). I also remember a teacher who was quite posh and played hockey for England I think Mr?? In the Juniors I remember Mr Heneberry and Mr Wells. Maybe I am different but I loved it at School especially later when I stayed on-It made such a difference to my life espoecially Mr Begley. Does anyone remeber the air raid sirens that went off in the 50s/early 60s to signal when luch was over for the factories. Neweys factory and at the top of New John St West where it met Summer land and next to the Post Office was Perry pens that made Knibs for the pens.
Hi Tom
Good to meet up with you last year at the Burlington Hotel Doug Ellis awards night and catch up with old times; like you I lived in New John St West 1/32 and went to St Chads infants, Juniors and Senior schools, from 1952 - December 1962; many fond memories, my favourite teachers with out doubt was Mr Wells (Head of the Junior School) and Mr Lettington (Also Sports Teacher) at the Senior School, both Gentlemen. My sister Maureen also went to St Chads, as did my dad & all his brothers and sisters also my granddad and his brothers and sisters went, so long history.
My memories include mates like Mickey Allsopp, Norman Farmer (RIP), Joseph Bibby, Johnny Kelly, Brian Pettit, John Hunt, John Costello, Tony Bean, Chris Empinstall, Rob Mcanerny, Will Ryan, John Weller, Peter Connolly (RIP), Cornelious walsh, Joey Cooper, Trevor Johnston, David Hewitt; girls I remember are: Rae Shepherd, Helen Fentham, Nora Oprey, Christine Rowe, Rose McGary, Susan Harrison, Janet Matielo, Mary Clark, Catherine Bill, Angela Porter, Maureen Shufflebottom, Carol Hussey, Gillian Higgins and Margaret Ecclesford, all in my year group. (Apologies to any one I have missed out or names spelled incorrect)
I don't remember any school class or group photographs being taken of the above crowd; if there was and you have one it would be great if you could post it on the site, will add more another time.
Cheers
John Gibbons

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Johnny. A nice addition to this thread, thank you. Enjoy the forum and I hope some of those you've named see your post. Viv.

Hi all.
My brother went to St Chads he was born Dec 1944 so don't know what years. I think he may be pictured on the second photograph, 3rd lad top row from the left. His name is Jimmy Khannon. I would be interested anyone who knew him or Micheal Khannon.
Regards John
Hi John
I knew Jimmy your brother quite well in them days, I also knew Phil Khannon (Cannon) I believe he was Jimmys half brother; I played with Phil for Small Heath Unity in the South Birmingham Combination from 1964 - 1968, both good lads.
Cheers
John Gibbons

I note the McMahon name in this thread, I have been looking for a workmate who we knew as Wally McMahon back in the fifties/sixties at Watsons Garage in Villa street, he later worked at the Birmingham Mail fleet repair workshop where he had dropped the Wally (out of fashion?) and was called Bill.
His mother and the rest of the family lived in Granville Street. He married Doreen (I think that's correct) and lived in Nursery Road, they had a daughter Angelique.
Anyone have any ideas if he's still around?

Back