• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

st chads school

shirley

Brummie babby
hi,does any one have any infomation on st chads school.i have tried to find info on the school but there doesnt seem to be any,my mum went to this school and im tring to find a picture of it she is 78 years old now i would be very grateful for any info anyone has.thanks in advance

st chads

r_home.jpg

Shirley Here is one St Chads Cathedral

st chads

Hello Shirley somebody on here will no doubt be able to help you,they can find anything it's an amazing site,some of the pictures on here are absolutely outstanding so watch this space

All the best Mossy:)

hi mossy
thanks for your reply,there is such a lot i need to find out,i myself was born in bridge road alum rock and we moved when i was about 6,my dad joined the army and we move to germany.we had holidays in brum and i can remember some things. we now live in portsmouth as that is where my dad was born.so im hoping that some one will help.

St Chads

Hi Shirley

Which school did your mom go to, as the primary school was in Shadwell St at the back of the Cathedral it's an Irish centre now I think. The infants and secondary school was in Brearley St demolished now I'm afraid.

Dave

hi dave
yes the school was in brearley st,its a shame that its been demolished
maybe some one out there has a picture of it.it would be nice to see where my mum went to school.thank you for your reply
shirley

St Chads

My Mother went to St Chads she was taught by a Miss Hazelwood who also taught me (but not at St Chads) I think most of the teachers were nuns, and very strict. but she had a very good education.

Hi Shirley,

Please see the attached picture of ST Chads, Brearley Street (found this on another thread), I was at the school myself in the 70's. I do have some other pictures but none showing the full school.

Hope this is of help

Hello, I have for the past few years been trying to obtain details of St Chad's school in Shadwell street I attended the school from 1946 till 1948.The head master was Mr wells I also worked in the Bishops house during the lunch hour,and after school I had a gun round. I have not been able to trace even one ex pupil it's as though the school did not exist. Can any one help please,regards Frank

Hi Frank.

I went to St Chads in Shadwell Street but I did not start there till 1950. Mr Wells was still headmaster and the only other teachers name I can remember is Miss Croake.

So your not on your own now there are at least two of us out there.

Regards

Dave

I went to St Chads R in Shadwell St in the 1945 to 1951,Mr Wells was head master.
there was also a Mr Connolly. Mr herringshaw.

Last edited:
I went to St Chads R in Shadwell St in the 1945 to 1951, Mr Wells was headmaster. there was aalso a Mr Herringshaw. and Mr Connolly.
there was a st chads girl school in Brearly st.

Re:st.chads school.
The one in Shadwell St. was for the boys. My eldest brother { Stanley Jinks } went to this one, so now there are THREE of you. Sorry I do not know who the teachers were. My brother was severely reprimaded for hanging on the the back of a lorry, and that's about all I can tell you.
I went to the girls school in Brearley St. and yes it was run by a group of Nuns and yes they were very strict. Each day after lunch we had to stand up and say what we had had to eat. Woe betide you if you said " chips " or anything they disapproved of. { it didn't take long for us to realise it was best to tell meat & 2 veg ! ! !} The only problem was when we went to confession we had to tell him we had sinned ? ? Periodically we were lined up the the Hall where sheets of paper were laid out on the stage. we were given a fine toothcomb and told to comb our hair over the paper to check for lice ! ! ! This terrified me in case anything was found and they would cut off my hair. The good thing I remenber was in the summer during the break they gave us drinks of lemonade made from Kali and in the winter we had horlicks. This has brought back some awful scary memories. Mind it could explain why religion and I have never really seen eye to eye. Hope this is of some interest ?
Betty

Hi all. I went to St. Chads also, but a little later than you. I went to the one on Brearly St first, (junior and infants) and then moved to the one behind the Cathedral. Can't remember the exact years, but it was the middle to late 60's. We lived on Hanley St. at the time, and moved to Perry Common in '69. I think our head mistress on Shadwell St was Sister Marie? Wielded a mean ruler!

Mark

i went to st chads in brearly street in the 70s i remember getting the cane for going in the wrong entrance as one entrance was for girls the other for boys.the toilets was outside in the playground.the headmistress was miss ward and she was a right xxxxxxx lol

I came over from Ireland when I was 10 and started at St chads. A great school and the only teacher that taught me was a Mr Conklin. Not only was he a good teacher but he also taught me swim, play football and play cricket. That school gave me a good start in life. I am 83 now but I have lots of fond memories of that school.

Back