• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Chads Hospital, Hagley Road

Misty0n

Brummie babby
Hi..I am seeking information about the Hospital where I was born in 1948.
Anyone who has information, pictures etc I would be most grateful to view.
Thank you

Not much on Google but this link gives some background history:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2442&page=75

In the 1960s I was taken ill with appendicitis and although I lived in Ward End they took me to St Chads, Hagley Road. It was a long journey in those days for my visitors with two buses involved and they kept me in for 8 days! In modern times I was only in hospital for 7 days after a heart attack and only overnight for hernia repairs!

hi misty..if you google st chads hospital and then click on national archives there is some info on there...i would not mind a picture of it myself as my sister was born there in 1969....

astoness:)

lol shavedfish..it seems we both found that link at the same time....

astoness:)

St Chads was originally the hospital for Smethwick but became an extension of Dudley Rd hospital in NHS days. The building is still there on the Hagley Road just above the Ivy Bush junction near Stirling Rd. and is now offices

hi kenh...would you have any info as to the year it closed i do know it was after 69 as my sister was born there ...misty0n has kindly sent me over 60 pics taken inside and out after it closed and has given me permission to post some on the forum for any members who may have an interest in st. chads......i will do this tomorrow....

lyn:)

My daughter was born there at 9,30 pm onthe 6th march 1975
and we lived around the corner from it on monument rd at cawdor crescent
and beside plough and harow rd edgebaston
and it closed down between 1981and 83 layed empty for years and then it became a big fancy office block astonian;;;

hi astonian..hope you are well..thank you for that info....i shall post some pics tomorrow when i have a bit more time.....

lyn:):):)

hi astoness
many thanks for your concerns,as well as all the other members of the forumwhom contacted me with there sincere condolence,s over the lost of my brother and i am truly looking forewarded to see your pictures and is it okay to down load a copy as my daughter will be very pleased to see where she was born ,
we did tell her where she was born but never seen the hospital its self as we moved from the area before she was older enough to see for her self before it closed down
many thanks astoness ; best wishes astonian ;;

astonian..i am sure it would be ok for you to dowload a pic of the hospital for you daughter to see....i will post them tomorrow as they need resizing....

take care of yourself...

as promised here are a few pics of st chads hospital after closure....

astoness..

pics courtesy of misty0n...

hi astoness
how are you keeping fine i hope many thanks for down loading the pic
of st chads i wil get my son to down load the pics for his sister tomorrow [ sunday ]
she as never seen st chads where she was born i know she will want to keep them and show her husband and kids whee she was born
many thanks again astoness, ;;;
ps , dont forget to put your clocks forewarded to night

hi astonian..i am fine thank you....

glad the pics are ok..i am sure that i went to visit mom and my baby sister when she was born at st chads...mom had all us other five children at home but because of her age it was advised that she went into hospital to have the 6th.....

just put me clock forward..

I worked as a RGN at St Chads for 3 1/2 years, 1974 to 1977 in outpatients and have very fond memories of Sister Baker and many other collegues there .I look back nostalgically to those days and wonder where everyone is and how life has treated them. Lovely to see the old place again. Thanks for the pictures/photographs.

hi my mum worked in Chads in the 60's. She would love to catch up with some of the people she worked with back then but unfortunately has no link to start with. do you have any ideas how we could get started seeing that the hospital is closed now? eg do you know of any reunion commitees etc??would be really grateful for any help.

;) I would be most interested in finding anyone who has any pictures, or memories of "Hockley-Birmingham England".
1950s- and before up to the present day. Particularly a place just of South Road called "The Crescent" and the seven houses and Corner shop, and Mr Priests badges company. (He made Car Badges) and we respected him as are Neighbour. There was the Esso Depot at the bottom of The Crescent. I lived in "Crescent Avenue". Played in and around
The Birmingham Mica Factory, Hockley Bus Garage, and the Waste Land area at the Corner of Claremount Road.

hi there
yes i remember the old hockley brook and when the copper stood on the middle of the junction doing is point duty
and of course south rd they was big houses as i recall long before the fly over was ever thought of
and what comes to my mind is there was a big builder merchants on the left hand side of south rd beforer you entered onm to south rd and the shop
facing south rd across the main rd was elvins the builders and painters contractors i think it was an old friend of ours by the name of john harris used tolive in south rd manya donkeys year ago my aunt winn lived just around the corner as did my two cousins barry and bryan phelpsd as i used to come down from spring hill toplay with them and i went to ickneild st school as well astonion

If I'm mistaken please correct me, I do remember the builders yard although the name escapes me. Where they put a subway on both sides of
Hockley Flyover, on the side coming out of the City Centre down Hockley Hill and onto the brook. On the out bound exit to Soho Road from the triple junction to "The Crescent" on your left, South Road in the Middle and Claremount Road to the right. Stood a large second hand dealers, on the opposite side of the:) crossings was "The Palladium Cinema" I got bit by a Friends puppy on the crossing, good job it was a Friend as my leg swelled up like a balloon. Tetanus injection.

Back