• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Catherine's Church Horsefair

Acat

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone know if St.Catherines Church was catholic, & although demolised, would i be able to find out if any records still exist, as my grandfather was baptised there 1n 1890.

Which St Catherine s's are we talking about Lee Bank or Nechells because I believe The one in Lee Bank was RC and the one in Nechells I'm not to sure but it was probably as Mike says C of E.

Phil

NechellsScholefieldStStCatherinesclosed1951.jpg
LeeBankWindmillStStCatherines.jpg

St Catherines Nechells would i,m sure be C.E. as we had St Josephs no more than half a mile away and that was definitely R.C. Dek

Mike

I believe it was built in 1875 for the Irish Immigrants that were flocking into Birmingham at the time, probably building or improving the railways and canals. I think the big round church on the Horsefair now replaced it. I'm almost sure that is called St Catherine's as well.

Phil

Yes Phil I agree the new church in the Horse Fair is called St Catherines and it is R.C.Dek

Hello. I didn't know there were two St.Catherines. It looks like it may of been Horsefair, as my grandfathers parentd lived in Beak Street, & they cam from Ireland. Much appreciated for all your help.

Hi, a friend asked me if I had any shots of Saint Catherines RC church in town...which I do not...does anyone have pictures of it...my friend also mentioned that at some point the church was bought off and maybe turned into some sort of club...a new round one was built with a copper dome.
As I don't have that sort of imformation. I thought I 'd come here....seemingly sensible thing to do...can any one help with imfo and pictures.

Hi Redken: You can find a lot of photos of St.Catherine's R C Church on www.digital-ladywood.org.uk. There are posts on the BHF site about the church which can be found via the Search Engine on the top right hand of the front page.The link to the Digital Ladywood site was provided by Lyn. Couldn't find anything about a club being on the site between the old church being demolished and the new one being built though. Here is some text about the original church from the British History Online site: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22979

St Catherines is definately still in use as a church Redken, although there is a nightclub called 'The Dome' fairly close by.

Macca

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 20
St Catherine of Sienna (now Bristol Road) but still referred to by my Dad as the Horsefair is RC. All its registers are kept in St Chad's archives and can be viewed by booking an appointment. I will know more after Friday as I am going in to look at those very records all being well.

Hi i see this is a old post i wondered how you got on my mom and her two sisters married their i believe it is called horsefair island as they used to sell horses their i seen a paper years ago said they tied horses to the rail outside the church yes it was RC. i went to the new church they said they dont keep the records as they do not have a permanant priest there records are at st. chads i phoned their loads of times never got a answer.

wow - that was ages ago. I emailed and made an appointment and went (needed to take ID with me) - the records were on microflm and I was able to search and print the records I wanted. Then, obviously, pay for the copies.
I know that since then the priest who was the archivist has left and I am not sure what the situation is now.
It was tricky as the records I needed were in Latin but I managed. Also as it was microfilm you could not do a search by name but had to go through the records.
I think they were starting to digitaise the reocrds but have no idea how far they have got. Reading the website it looks as it things have changed. Some records are on Find My Past I think.
Opening is very limited see here

Hi thanks for reply it was a few years ago this post, i got marriage for mom and sisters registery office but i new the names i wanted to search for other relatives i only had one name i did complain to the archdiocece they never replyed, Some times these things are very easy some times very hard as i am sure you know. Thanks again for reply.

Back