• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Benedict's Road School Small Heath

St Benedicts Road School 2.jpgSt Benedicts Road School.jpg

St Benedicts Road School. The larger of the two must have been taken in 1956 as it has identical setting to second photo in #1 post. I think the smaller one was taken a year earlier but not sure.

The above photos were moved to this new thread from the old "school photos" thread. This is how British History Online describes the school:

ST. BENEDICT'S ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Small Heath. St. Benedict's Rd. Council Sch. opened 1913 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 1,000 M, I. Wright St. Temporary Council Sch. closed when it opened. Reorganized 1931 for JM, I. Accom. provided here 1940–50 for 2 classes of Holy Family R.C. Primary Sch. Accom. 1961: 20 classrooms, 2 halls.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would love to discover anybody who went to St. Benedict's Primary in Small Heath, between c.1960 and 1964.

My parents moved out of Birmingham in 1966 and I've only been back twice over the years!

Any pictures of the infants and junior school 1945 to 1950 when i attended from my address in heather road. The only person I remember was Carol Coke who lived in Somerville Road.

I attended St. Bens 1956 - 62, when I left to go to Bierton Rd secondary Modern. I ended up in 4C. Teachers I remember are Mr Beaumont - Headmaster, Mrs Euinson ? Mr Price, Mr Irving. In my Class that I remember, were Freddy Todd, Alan Smith, Brian ? Micheal Teague, Brenda Wilcox, Heather ? Kathrine ? possibly the Miller twins. I lived at 172 St. Benedict's Road. In summer sports were held at the small park. School trips were to Dudley Zoo and Alton Tower's. There were others, but my recall is not so good. I have returned and asked a guy on the other side of the school fence if there was an old boy's and girls group. He thought not. Through out all of Small Heath, there are many changes and the school and parks seem much smaller.

Two lovely press photos of children rehearsing for evacuation in 1939. Source: British Newspaper Archives.

Viv.

A69EB1B1-3F0C-4432-AF92-F4C4A57A5F19.jpeg75D7E661-303B-4C3D-8099-0A895F2E045E.jpeg

Hi,

I would love to discover anybody who went to St. Benedict's Primary in Small Heath, between c.1960 and 1964.

My parents moved out of Birmingham in 1966 and I've only been back twice over the years!
Went back twice to specifically walk from both ends of St Ben's on separate occasions. Not sure how to handle the experience. So much had changed in Small Heath. Note the 28 bus no longer runs along St. Ben's. In fact it does not terminate at New Street station either. A ride - post Co-vid - I hope to make. Tend now to spend my visits in the center, or specific sites.

St Benedicts Small Heath 1931 and 1956

View attachment 82013View attachment 82014
Are there any more photo's in an archive possibly held by the local educational authority? Any idea where such pic's would end up?The must have been taken every year, but I do not remember it happening. Alas, I had just started infants in 56, so have no knowledge of the kids in the pic. Tho' there might have been a girl - surname Bayse?? I seem to remember a school uniform of black/blue?? jacket, grey socks with 2 yellow/gold bands at the top and a tie striped with the same colours. Not sure what the girls wore. Can anyone confirm this and when it was introduced, or correct? Now the colours are grey and red from what I saw from my last visit.

Are there any more photo's in an archive possibly held by the local educational authority? Any idea where such pic's would end up?The must have been taken every year, but I do not remember it happening. Alas, I had just started infants in 56, so have no knowledge of the kids in the pic. Tho' there might have been a girl - surname Bayse?? I seem to remember a school uniform of black/blue?? jacket, grey socks with 2 yellow/gold bands at the top and a tie striped with the same colours. Not sure what the girls wore. Can anyone confirm this and when it was introduced, or correct? Now the colours are grey and red from what I saw from my last visit.
I was at st Ben in 1965/1966 mr beals class I still have my tie, I did the tape recording for the assembly Gary Collins born in Monica road

Hi,

I left st Ben in 64 to go to oldknow rd I was in mr beales class along with sometimes mr price, Gary Collins of Monica road

Hi,

Hi. Have just stumbled upon this forum and saw your post. My Sister Barbara would have been at that school at the time. We lived in St Benedicts road and also moved out around 1966. I was born in 1962 so wasn't old enough to start school until we had left.

I lived at 172 St. Ben's. Short up hill walk to school. Which class was your Sis in? I do not remember her in my stream which was C. Nor do I remember how many classes per stream. If more than one, then she may have been in one of the others. Any one help? Is she in contact with any other people that attended?

Hi. Don't know what class she was in but I'll ask when I'm next in touch with her. We lived at number 83 and my grandparents lived at I think 100 which was almost opposite. I have worked on a couple of occasions with someone called Keith Barnes who claimed to have also have gone to the school but my sister couldn't remember his name when I mentioned it to her.

Thanks for getting back Brian. As I said in earlier posts, I did visit the area. I have just woken up to the fact that the pic showing the evacuation in 39 is the rear of the school. In winter the boys used to get the snow polished into (ice) slides because of the slope of the playground, before the start of lessons. Mainly for our use. Perhaps your sis will remember. Certainly the play ground from school wall to fence was a lot smaller than I recall.

I left st Ben in 64 to go to oldknow rd I was in mr beales class along with sometimes mr price, Gary Collins of Monica
I lived at 172 St. Ben's. Short up hill walk to school. Which class was your Sis in? I do not remember her in my stream which was C. Nor do I remember how many classes per stream. If more than one, then she may have been in one of the others. Any one help? Is she in contact with any other people that attended?
Hi Richard it’s Barbara Edwards, nee Batson. I’ve just joined the forum. I was at St Bens between 1962 and 1967. My best friend was Angela Thomas but I can’t remember anyone else’s full names. There was an Ian and a Gary. And a girl called Regina. I think she was Yugoslavian. Oh and David Nichols who got run over by the No. 28 bus that ploughed into a house near the bottom of St Bens road. (He survived!) Can’t remember any of the teacher’s names either. Think I must have blocked a lot out due to all the trauma!

Hi,

Hi Audrey I was there from 1961 or 62 to 1967 when we moved to Meriden. It sounds from the dates that you may have been in the year above me. Can you remember anyone in your class?

Hello Barbara.

Seems we missed each other tho' may have passed you on the road to and from school. I assume you must have been in the infants section, while I was in the Junior part. Thinking back I only knew people about 3 houses either side of where I lived. Like you guys my Grandparents lived across the road but I cannot recall the house number. I am some what amused by the thought of the 28 leaving the road. There was the post office at the bottom, on the left which had a set of garages which they rented out. My Dad had one. I think a butchers on the right. Opposite that a hardware store???? Can't remember what or if there was a 4th shop. Remember the Co-op group of stores near Monica Rd. Not sure if true that apart from St. Bens., all the roads were named after family members whose land the houses were built on. And Small Heath little park....my oh my....don't go back folks. Its not what we remember.....

Back