• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Basil's Church, Digbeth War Memorial

laraine

master brummie
news_war_memorial.jpg
I dont know if this has been posted before but its the War Memorial at St Basil's Church in Digbeth. My gt uncle George Twitty is named amongst those fallen, his brother Thomas Twittey also got killed in action but i dont know if his name is on a memorial anywhere else.

Laraine

gosh! that was a shock..i just happened to browse this post as i know St Basils was the area in which my family lived around that time. I have always wondered if my two great uncles, who were killed in the Great War were commerated anywhere local to where they lived...and here they pop up! I am shocked! Lovely shock but i had no idea why had been listed, i am not sure my relatives have eithe....what a lovely surprise:)
Their names are : John Joseph Letts and William Anthony Letts.

Brummieletts//

View attachment 91742
I dont know if this has been posted before but its the War Memorial at St Basil's Church in Digbeth. My gt uncle George Twitty is named amongst those fallen, his brother Thomas Twittey also got killed in action but i dont know if his name is on a memorial anywhere else.

Laraine

where abouts did they live? My family were from Barn Street around that time, though Lower Trinity Street also pops up....

Hi Brummieletts What a lovely suprise for you finding your two great Uncles !
George Twittey was from Lower Darwin St, Deritend having lived there with his wife Martha. George's family at that time lived on Garrison Lane. I think Thomas Twittey was living on North Road in Bournbrook, im wondering if there would be a memorial perhaps in that area with his name on ?
Best wishes
Laraine

Hi all I'm ggg grand daughter of George twittey. It was lovely to see this . There is another name on there in my tree that is Cutts also listed on this. Thank you for sharing very precious

Hi All I too have found what I hope is my Grandfathers name J Hewitt on the memorial,he died of wounds 19 August 1915.
He spent all his early life in the Fazeley St and Bordesely St area where his people were Boatmen, I was wondering if there is any way I could confirm it his army number was 10688 South Staffs Regiment.
Regards Acklam19

Back