• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Bartholomew’s burial

Elsiemate

Hi there - I’ve been reading with interest some posts about the Park Street burial ground and how the HS2 is finally going to obliterate its existence. I’ve read how this burial ground was an overflow for St Martin’s but also it seems to have an association with St Bart’s? Or perhaps St Bart’s was built as an overflow of St Martin’s? Either way, I have an ancestor who was buried in St Bart’s in 1849 (last known address Great Colmore Street so am assuming it’s not the Edgbaston St Bart’s)

Can I assume that since the church was demolished in the 1940s and a car park built over the site that all remains were disinterred and moved elsewhere and there’s not going to be any known final resting place or headstone for my ancestor? I think I know the answer but thought it was worth asking! He was William Jenkins. I know there are lots of Jenkins about in this era and area and have discounted many of the wealthier ones that were buried in vaults in St Martins. Mine was a lowly porter who’s children went into saddlery in the Staffordshire and Walsall areas. Many thanks.

Hello, Park St. burials were moved to Witton Cemetery but my book (In the Midst of life, Joseph McKenna) only says St. Batholomew's was laid out as a recreation ground in 1897. The church closed in 1937, suffered bomb damage and was then demolished. I presume interrments went to Witton also.
My ancestors from Walsall were leather workers too!! (and later in Birmingham.)
rosie.

Thanks Rosie - seems many people were involved in saddlery and leather work in Walsall. It was a real family affair with all the Jenkins men and women in my family. I have a book from the Walsall Leather Museum and it’s fascinating - I must visit it one day but I now live in Scotland! I’m desperate to break through the brick wall I’ve hit with my Jenkins ancestors - it all ends with William’s death in 1801. DNA hasn’t thrown any light on it yet. I was clutching at straws in the hope of an informative headstone but I don’t think that’s a possibility knowing how the church was demolished and the land redeveloped. Never mind Thanks again for taking the time to reply so quickly. I’ve only ever browsed on this forum and found it very informative.

Back