• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

hi nick to receive email alerts to threads you have posted on you need to go to your profile and click on preferences then tick the box to allow you to receive them..i would imagine you have not done that yet this would explain why you are not receiving them..

lyn

Not sure if this site has been previously highlighted, but is useful to someone searching for War Memorials. This is a search for Erdington and you can see there is a picture of one in the churchyard of st Barnabas. The Post Office board is also shown along with those of the RC St Thomas Club.

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/search?keyword=Erdington&search=1
Ah yes, I know this one, I did start with this site last summer, some info is faulty and so I then went alone
on my quest.
It does seem that people are well meaning but for some reason dont have full or correct information.
It takes quite some work and in put to double check everything that passes through my hands.
I am quite determined to get this right.
I have many ideas after I have finished, for this information to be made public.
Including crowed funding and also patrion to make it all happen.
Thing is, its out of my knowledge base to achieve at this time.
It would be marvelous if I found all of the descendants and told them of their ancestry ref the Great War.
I am sure many do not know these people existed at all.
Nick.

hi nick to receive email alerts to threads you have posted on you need to go to your profile and click on preferences then tick the box to allow you to receive them..i would imagine you have not done that yet this would explain why you are not receiving them..

lyn
You really look after me dont you Lyn.

Hi Viv,
I have taken a look at the site, its marvelous isn't it.
Some items are not correct and so I have forwarded the information to the owner.
But it looks as though a lot of time and trouble has been taken over this site.
Thank you for the link.
Nick.

Hi Nick
If you want to correct any inaccuracies I suggest you email them to Sharon Stokes at Lives of WW1 as she is the community manager for that St Barnabas community. She gives contact details at the beginning of her community. Although I guess you’re probably far too busy at the moment.

Otherwise if you join the project you can make amendments yourself. But again it takes a lot of time. If you let me know of any errors I could tackle it for you, but currently I’m working and time is limited. However in the new year I could take it on.
Viv.

Hi Nick
If you want to correct any inaccuracies I suggest you email them to Sharon Stokes at Lives of WW1 as she is the community manager for that St Barnabas community. She gives contact details at the beginning of her community. Although I guess you’re probably far too busy at the moment.

Otherwise if you join the project you can make amendments yourself. But again it takes a lot of time. If you let me know of any errors I could tackle it for you, but currently I’m working and time is limited. However in the new year I could take it on.
Viv.
Hi Viv,
Thank you for the offer, I have already done so.
At present I am concentrating on the missing names.
I agree with your comment, I too am very busy and I have to admit a little tired.
But I will look in to Thomas Faulkner in the morning which i think looks correct.
I am impressed with all the help this forum has offered so far.

Hi All,
I've managed to resurrect an old password so I can join the conversation!

I've found William Skinner and added him to my St Barnabas Community on "lives" :-

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4064136

According to his service record William was engaged to Miss Ethel Beddows of 95 Trafalgar Road, Erdington - she was the sister of Alfred Percy Beddows, also on the memorial, who died on 30th July 1915. From their Regimental numbers it looks like William and Alfred joined the Rifle Brigade together.

Best wishes,

Sharon

There has been quite a bit of digging done on some people so you might have quite a bit of catching up to do - hope you find some new info.

Yes , I should have said on my earlier post that I've been following the research on here and Nick contacted me as I've got a community on the Lives of the First World War site. I'm still unsure of the following men if anyone has any info :-Frank Bedding, Herbert Green, Arthur V Mitchell, George Roscoe, Jack Shaw, Thomas D Smith.

Thanks,

Sharon Stokes
St Barnabas Community on Lives of the First World War

P.S
Anything that needs adding / correcting on the above site please just contact me with the relevant evidence and I'll sort it for you.

Thanks. I think the one which is hard to read because of the light shining (on your list as "Wamble") is;
View attachment 128081
Listed on the Helles Memorial - panel 17. Comes under Gallipoli buried at sea - will try to confirm that. His probate says "died at sea on hospital ship" near Malta.
Hi, i have resolved the wamble name, further I have checked the list and Whittall is on my list, he was easy to find mainly because of the long first names, so dont worry he is on board.

Hi every one, hope Christmas was not too traumatic for you.
Well I have not been on the site for some time and that is because I was waiting for a reply from the Bishop of Birmingham.
This was to ask for assistance in having the great war memorial restored and placed in St.Barnabas church.
He is the reply and I quote.
``I have asked the archdeacon of Aston to look in to this matter; realistically this will probably now be in the spring.''
So thats where we are at the moment.
Further, I have been reading past messages and adding names to the list which is most helpful and I am great full to all those who gave their time and effort.
Now the good news and the bad news.
The good news is that I have finely managed to convert the excel file to a PDF. Yeap i finely dont it.
The bad news is that my excel is in landscape and the PDF is in portrait.
In answer to your question, yes i did try turning it off and on again.
Yes I did shout very loudly and that did not work either.
So I attach --- I hope the most up to date list that I have.
Red indicates missing information.
On the side that you can not see is the address`s DOB age at death and time and place of death plus memorial of grave site.
If you happen to know how to make the PDF as a landscape, then save me pulling my hair out, I`ll send it to you and you do it as I have lost the will to live now.
So, thats the update and as I know more I will let you know.
For now I wish you a Happy New Year.
Nick.

Attachments

• Alphabetical Just Names 1 .docx.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 10
Nick, unfortunately I've had to remove one of the men from the community. I've realised he is actually Joseph LARKIN [Worcester Reg. 12541] and the name on the memorial is Joseph LAKIN. But I think I've found the correct one : -https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2613602

Sharon

The Memorial Roll digitally altered to make as many names as possible more readable. See enhanced version in post#89.
View attachment 121553
Thank you, I will look in to this, in the mean time I need to try and convert the excel in to PDF, hmmmm.
Hi,

This is an update to all those on the history forum with reference to the lost Great War memorial.

You may be please to know that the incumbent Vicar Siobhan Bridge has met with myself last week and has agreed to move forward with rebuilding the Great War memorial.

This means I can now put forward my application to the commonwealth war graves commission for funding.

This week I will meet with a councillor for Erdington to see if we can get further funding and some help with publicity.

So, it looks like its going to happen now.

But I need some assistance, I would like to hear from anyone that can build a web site, and anyone who knows how to go about crowed funding.

The rest I think will be within my skill set at least for now.

So, I wonder if we can start a new page for this issue?

Nick.

lyn
Hi,

This is an update to all those on the history forum with reference to the lost Great War memorial.

You may be please to know that the incumbent Vicar Siobhan Bridge has met with myself last week and has agreed to move forward with rebuilding the Great War memorial.

This means I can now put forward my application to the commonwealth war graves commission for funding.

This week I will meet with a councillor for Erdington to see if we can get further funding and some help with publicity.

So, it looks like its going to happen now.

But I need some assistance, I would like to hear from anyone that can build a web site, and anyone who knows how to go about crowed funding.

The rest I think will be within my skill set at least for now.

So, I wonder if we can start a new page for this issue?

Nick.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/586140628551027/
OK guys, I have started a face book page, here is the link above.
Now I know some people dont like face book, but it is the best starting point
to get publicity to replace the lost great war memorial in St. Barnabas church.
Now I have to point out that I have no idea of the best way to build the face book page
even though I have looked on you-tube for guidance.
So if any one out there knows how to drive this face book forward then please
get in touch.
This is an opportunity to add stories and upload photos of those lost in the great war
that were listed on the great war memorial.
Thank you for your time and I will update this periodically.
Nick.

Back