• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

Some of the names on Viv's list in #44 do not appear on the memorial. I am not sure why.
There is some mystery here yes, but I think it is because the others have headstones, but thats a guess at this stage. Some though have headstones and are on the memorial. Many that are in the grave yard died of the Spanish Flu.

Thanks. I think the one which is hard to read because of the light shining (on your list as "Wamble") is;
1539876045820.png
Listed on the Helles Memorial - panel 17. Comes under Gallipoli buried at sea - will try to confirm that. His probate says "died at sea on hospital ship" near Malta.

Re: the other Whittall.
Howard Elkington Whittall of Eversley, Kingsbury Road - there were 3 brothers all in the army.
1539876991985.png

Howard is buried at St Barnabas and died 26 September 1919. At the moment I can't find him listed as war dead but I assume he died of injuries after being brought home.
On 1911 census William and Frederick are at university. There are another son, 2 daughters, 2 nephews the parents and 3 live in servants at the address.

Last edited:
Most likely Albert A Wilson (this is the only one to give Erdington)
1539877866393.png
Slight discrepancy here as the date for the Arras memorial says 29th April 1917 but the service number is the same.

Thanks. I think the one which is hard to read because of the light shining (on your list as "Wamble") is;
View attachment 128081
Listed on the Helles Memorial - panel 17. Comes under Gallipoli buried at sea - will try to confirm that. His probate says "died at sea on hospital ship" near Malta.
This is spooky as I was just looking this chap up not 30 mins ago! There is a listing for Wamble which is miss spelt it should be as you quite rightly say William. South African born in Trans-val.
Buried at Helles Cemetery Turkey. Appears to have a brother Howard. Don`t know of another brother but these two are on the memorial at St.Barnabas. Howard is in the RN and therefore his body may be lost. Or buried at sea but more then likely lost. Hope this helps?

Viv where did you get the listings from?

Janice, It’s from a search on the IWM Lives of WW1 site. You need a subscription to search. I think the names on the list are largely ones with graves but, there’s at least one exception, Sharpe who has a grave and is on this memorial as well as the Post Office memorial (Erdington Post Office) despite having a grave. So not sure. Viv.

Have now created a community on IWM Lives for this memorial. Now starting to add the men to the group.

First up

2nd Lt Reginald John Twilton, RAF. No service number. Died 25/4/1918.

Viv

Have now created a community on IWM Lives for this memorial. Now starting to add the men to the group.

First up

2nd Lt Reginald John Twilton, RAF. No service number. Died 25/4/1918.

Viv
Reginald Twilton RFC/RAF 2nd Lieutenant - 88 Squadron- Buried at Marcinelle Lived in Erdington - Death 25-Apr-1919
Birth 1895 Address 87 High Street

Gunner William Albert Hackett service #189547 Royal Horse Artillery & Royal Field Artillery Died of wounds 4/10/1918

Viv.

Lt Frederick Charles Herbert Guest. Army Service Corps (no service #). Born 1890 Erdington, died 3/6/1917 buried Flaubourg D’Amiens Cemetery Arras. Wife Ethel Nora Guest. Parents Charles Herbert and Agnes Eliza Guest. In 1911 he was at 19 Mason Rd Erdington and was an Architect Assistant Clerk.

Viv.

Pte. John Frederick Maryon Army Pay Corps #6398 b. 1878, died 10/3/1918 buried at Wimereux Communal Cemetery Pas de Calais. In 1911 living at 27 Fern Road, was a Commercial Chef and his wife was Martha Maria.

Viv

Pte Stanley Plumpton. Seaforth Highlanders (RossShire Buffs). Service #S/16432 Enlisted in Birmingham Born 1891 Liscard Cheshire. Died of wounds 21/9/1917. Had an older brother William George b. 1889 and a younger brother John Leonard b.1899. Parents William and Isabella Julia. In 1911 living at 117 South Road a Erdington. He was at that time a Clerk.

Viv.

Pte Albert Sidney Mccullough. Service #12019 Dorsetshire Reg 6th battalion. Enlisted Birmingham. Born 1896 Handsworth. Parents Gilbert S and Sarah. Two younger brothers John Gilbert b.1898 and Arthur Ronald b.1900.

Albert Sidney died of wounds 27/3/1918. Buried at Etaples Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais. In 1911 living at 10 High Street Erdington, he was assisting with business (father was a fishmonger, mother assisted in business too).

Viv.

Cpl Edgar Nourse Service #502057 Corps of Royal Engineers (17 Div Signal Coy RE). Born 1891 Nechells Parents Phillip Henry and Emily (They were at 372 Slade Road, Erdington when Edgar died abroad). Older brother Arthur b.1883 and younger brother Elphege b 1893.

Edgar Nourse died 30/5/1918 Mesopotamia. Buried Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery.

In 1911 Edgar was an Out Of Work Manufacturers Clerk living at Brookvale Road.

Viv.

Back