• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

The internet page describing St Barnabas states that the Church was built in 1827, but fire caused irreparable damage in 2007. The Church's world was turned upside down.

Also during the Great War, 1914-18, the Church's World was turned upside down. Inside the Church in 1920 the Memorial was unveiled in tribute to the men of the parish who had sacrificed their lives.

“Let light perpetual shine upon them.”

I am sure that the majority of parishioners would agree that the fire should not be allowed put out this light. Surely a place can be found in the “impressive, glass fronted new build, incorporating the wide and spacious Lighthouse conference room”
I agree, I have studied the church in some detail, and you are correct. We need more people like you.

You’ll find a few of your men named in the CWGC Church Book listings attached. Viv
9AE5B6C6-FE34-4FFC-8BEA-304B158CC25D.jpeg

Nick I can do some more research for you into the men and get a community set up on the Imperial War Museums ‘Lives of WW1’ site. This will make the memorial more visible to others with an interest.

I don’t have a lot of time this week due to work commitments but will certainly try and add some details over the weekend. Viv.

Second man on the list is Bertram Allum (not Alum):
1539810009218.png
Died 20th November 1917, killed in action. Mother named as Next of Kin.

Frank Aspinall
1539811368091.png
Died 1st August 1916, killed in action. Address for memorial was "Son of Thomas and Mary, Glencree, Silverbirch Road Erdington" Medal rolls give his number as 15/278
Probate went to his Father
1539811933400.png

Forgot to tell you where the Chance brothers were commemorated;
View attachment 128060
View attachment 128061
Thanks for the update.
I am limited to how much I can add.
My list states so far.
First name - Initials - Sir name -service number - Rank - Regiment - Battalion - Company - Burial place -Town lived in - Year of Death - Age at Death - Relationship ie. brothers etc - Year of birth - Address.
It would not be practical to add more information.
The length of information is enough for family members to find more about their relatives on their own.
If I had time I would like to write a book but its time and information to replace the memorial at this stage.
I do appreciate your input and I want as much information as possible.
But I will be over loaded to do more at this stage.
15 points of information is in my opinion enough for those to study further on their own at this time.
If I could, I would add how they died and why they were there and what was going on at the time.
I am quite well read and informed, but this subject covers 4 years of information and to add to the list would be quite a task.
I have to be selective with what I add.
I would have to create a whole web site to accommodate all the information for 140 soldiers.
The bottom line is to gain funding for the new war memorial.
I do thank you and all that have so far provided help and information.
Sincerely thank you.

hi nick i think you are quite right...at this stage just stick to the basic information we can find on the men as you say your main task at the min is to gain a grant for a new memorial...:)

lyn

hi nick i think you are quite right...at this stage just stick to the basic information we can find on the men as you say your main task at the min is to gain a grant for a new memorial...:)

lyn
Thanks Lyn.
Well I hope you will be able to post this photo on the forum for me as I just haven't got time to play with the forum as yet.
This is a snip of the Ecel file which now that you can see it, I hope it will all make sense. (I hope). I am adding to the list daily and it does take time.
If I could then it would be easier to email it to all that wish to add to it and then receive it back but I am not sure that people will want their email address`s posted on line. So not sure how to proceed on that one.
I have to say that I am most impressed with peoples enthusiasm.
I hope it lasts until we get the grant at least.

Attachments

• First page.JPG
    First page.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 8
Er, thanks. Not sure what Buckfast Abby and a Railway museum`s connection is to the Great War memorial but thank you anyway. Overlook what guy? I am confused.??
The Anglican Bishop of Birmingham. He has a place in Colmore Row. The Buckfast and railway links are part of my signature. :)

As it was a bishop's mitre I assumed it was a reference to her church "boss". The Buckfast Abbey and Railway link are Alan's interests. The post is just as far as the poster's name.

Sorry our post's crossed Alan :)

As it was a bishop's mitre I assumed it was a reference to her church "boss". The Buckfast Abbey and Railway link are Alan's interests. The post is just as far as the poster's name.

Sorry our post's crossed Alan :)
Janice, I bet you, Maurice and Pedro are good at crosswords. :D

over the next few days i will be drawing up just a basic list of names of the men we have found so far..this list will only contain their name rank and number so please keep other info about them coming in as nick will pick it up..this list is really just a quick way for our members to see at a glance who we have found and who we need to find...as more are found i will simply edit and update the list...

lyn

Last edited:
Back