• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
Alan

I note that you have a photograph of the war memorial that was destroyed in the fire. I am currently researching my great uncle harold Edward Pitt who was killed in the Great War in 1915. His name appeared on this memorial. Is there a possibility of seeing your photograph please?
If it is of any help the photo below is on the forum's Image Host, I think I can see your great uncle's name at the bottom of the middle column.
St_Barnabas_Erdington_011.jpg

Had a play around with the image to try highlight the names on the memorial. Not great but might help some searching for ancestors. Shall copy this and the original image to the WW1 memorials section. Viv.
image.jpeg

The Memorial Roll digitally altered to make as many names as possible more readable. See enhanced version in post#89.
Image4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have two relatives names on the memorial.
I have decided to apply for a grant to have the memorial remade just as it is in the photo.
I am in process right now filling in the application.
Further to this I am trying to construct a Xcel file with all the names and serial numbers adding as much information as possible.
So any information you can add would be most welcome.
Further any support in helping with the application from the CWGC and suggestions would also be most welcome.
I would like to thank this site for showing the photo of the memorial as it is the only complete image that I have seen.
Thanks, Nick.

hi nick and welcome to the forum....what a worthwhile task you have set yourself and we are pleased that at least we have been able to provide you with a complete image of the memorial of st barnabas...we have a few members on here who i am sure would be only too happy to help ...could you let us know just exactly what sort of information you require and if we can help in any way we will and please keep us informed of your progress

all the best

lyn

hi nick and welcome to the forum....what a worthwhile task you have set yourself and we are pleased that at least we have been able to provide you with a complete image of the memorial of st barnabas...we have a few members on here who i am sure would be only too happy to help ...could you let us know just exactly what sort of information you require and if we can help in any way we will and please keep us informed of your progress

all the best

lyn
Hello Lyn,
Well I am at the second stage of applying for a grant from CWGC.
I suppose realistically its a case of attaching the application and gaining comments.
But I am unsure if thats wise or not?
The excel sheet can be completed as an ongoing project, although it would be nice to have it completed by the end of the year. Its a time thing, and then submit it with the application as a show of commitment.
One thing does worry me though, the Vicar of St.Barnabas is not keen on the idea of having a Memorial replaced in the church. It does not go with the decor apparently.
And so I am contacting the British legion for finding a new home within Erdington as and when the memorial is rebuilt.
So practical ideas are welcome.
Nick.

nick am i correct in thinking that you would like to have the regiment numbers against the names of all the fallen men?? if so that could prove difficult as probably 2 thirds of all ww1 records were destroyed the the raids of ww2 so it maybe an idea to just stick with the names on the memorial...

i have had to read your last message 3 times to make sure i did not imagine the line saying the vicar of st barnabas is not keen on having the memorial back at the church because it does not go with the decor...those men who gave their lives for this country were of the parish and it should not matter one bit about it not going with the decor... i have never heard of anything so ridiculous in all my life and from a church as well...if you do succeed in getting the memorial remade i would let the people of erdington have a say in where their memorial should be re dedicated...think i will shut up now as i just cant get my head around such a feeble excuse...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,
Yes I agree that adding the serial numbers is a challenge, that said I have made a start and seeing if I can make it happen at this stage. This is merely to add to the application, not necessarily to add to the memorial. Its a show of commitment to the project. Also if anyone does have a query I will have the answer for others. Plus, its interesting.
Yes your herd me right, Freda Evens is the Vicar there. That was her opinion. My opinion does not match hers.
I do not wish to comment further on an open forum with regards decor.
Its her church and she has the right to refuse.

ok nick so back to the job in hand...if you can (and there is no rush) list as you find them the mens name..rank and regiment numbers on here i am sure that some of our members will try and find some that are not on your list...hopefully between us we can find a few.. contacting.the british legion is a very good idea

lyn

From the website;
"As a fully inclusive church, everyone is welcome at St. Barnabas". But not apparently memories of everyone

ok nick so back to the job in hand...if you can (and there is no rush) list as you find them the mens name..rank and regiment numbers on here i am sure that some of our members will try and find some that are not on your list...hopefully between us we can find a few.. contacting.the british legion is a very good idea

lyn

I will do my best too post the names, I wanted to attach the Ecel file but this site does not support that format.
This does not copy and paste well.

First Name
Initials​
Surname
Henry
Allen
Bertram
G​
Alum
Frank
T​
Aspinall
Horace
A​
Aston
Fred
W​
Atkins
Horace
R​
Banning
John
F​
Bannister
Walter
P​
Bartlam
Frederick
L​
Beach
Frank
Bedding
Alfred
P​
Beddows
Howard
S​
Beresford
George
E​
Berry
William
A​
Bicknell
Arthur
P​
Blackmore
Leslie
P​
Bragginton
Frank
Brown
John
Butler
Secton
R​
Carter
Frederick
E​
Chance
Thomas
Chance
Fred
T​
Chapman
Thomas
W​
Chick
Phillip
H​
Child
William
H​
Child
Charles
N​
Clayton
Frederick
HD​
Collier
Alfred
T​
Conling
Wilfred
Coombe
Sydney
Craven
William
J​
Crawford
Henry
C​
Davies
John
H​
Davies
Ralf
H​
Davies
Charles
H​
Deakin
William
Edkins
William
J​
Eyers
Thomas
Faulkner
William
D​
Featherstone
Howard
Fisher
Reginald
H​
Fulford
Walter
H​
Garland
William
Goldingay
Percy
W​
Goodall
Horace
HW​
Gray
Herbert
Green
Lionel
Green
Norman
F​
Green
Clifford
PN​
Fredrick
CH​
William
A​
Hackett
Wilfred
L​
Hales
William
H​
Hare
Sidney
Harrison
William
A​
Harrison
John
E​
Harvey
Fred
Holley
Harold
E​
Howes
Arthur
G​
Hutchinson
Samuel
Johnson
Edwin
W​
Jones
Henry
C​
Jordan
James
VT​
Jordan
Joseph
Keeling
Harry
G​
Keen
Fredrick
R​
Kirk
Joseph
Lakin
Alexander
Leadbetter
Harold
Lee
Alfred
B​
Madden
John
F​
Maryon
Henry
A​
Matthews
Albert
S​
Mccullough
William
H​
Middleton
Mark
Mills
Edward
Minahan
Albert
H​
Mitchell
Arthur
V​
Mitchell
Eric
A​
Mousley
Thomas
H​
Moyle
Francis
J​
Murphy
George
L​
Musselle
Fredrick
W​
Noden
George
C​
Norton
Edgar
Nourse
Thomas
JW​
Oliver
Francis
G​
Owen
William
E​
Peake
Harry
Pearson
Charles
A​
Perkins
Ronald
B​
Piper
Harold
E​
Pitt
George
F​
Plumb
Stanley
Plumpton
Herbert
S​
Preston
Leslie
G​
Preston
Arthur
P​
Pyatt
Henry
R​
Reynolds
John
L​
Roberts
Albert
E​
Robinson
George
H​
Rogers
George
Roscoe
Roland
Rowlands
Thomas
S​
Rowlands
Albert
E​
Sharp
Jack
Shaw
Charles
J​
Shears
Charles
John​
Shears
Albert
L​
Sims
William
Skinner
Arthur
J​
Smith
Thomas
D​
Smith
Harry
B​
Southern
Frank
Spencer
William
Stephenson
George
H​
Stevens
Walter
P​
Stobart
Herbert
J​
Streeter
James
W​
Tattersall
Martin
B​
Taylor
Carl
W​
Tomey
William
A​
Tomlin
David
Turner
Leonard
Turton
Reginald
Twilton
George
Upton
Albert
E​
Walker
Albert
J​
Walker
Charles
A​
Walker
Fredrick
H​
Walker
George
Walker
Cyril
Warmington
Edward
C​
Warren
Frederick
Watkins
Danial
E​
Watney
Howard
E​
Whittall
Wamble
JGAL​
Whittall
Albert
A​
Wilson
Horace
Wood
Arthur
E​
Wright

I saw the Mail? article, of 2012, at the re-dedication of the church. I can see the possible reason for this attitude in the main body of the church but I did notice an area with tables and chair - presumably a meeting room/small cafeteria?
Could not the memorial board be somewhere there. Still in the building where, when it was made, it was meant to be and visible by anyone who is there.

Hi Nick - an excellent idea and the members here will give help where they can and post information on here. With regards to your comment about the placement of the plaque - in my church it would not be a decision made by the minister alone but would be decided by our parish committee. I would perhaps contact the Bishop's office to enquire what permissions are needed, and from whom, in order to get the memorial restored. If it is a decision by the vicar alone then you would have to fall back on the second idea. It may be that the British Legion will be able to advise on permissions needed.

Nick - I think if you export the excel sheet as a PDF file it will then attach. (Someone did that recently for a "lost" memorial).

I saw the Mail? article, of 2012, at the re-dedication of the church. I can see the possible reason for this attitude in the main body of the church but I did notice an area with tables and chair - presumably a meeting room/small cafeteria?
Could not the memorial board be somewhere there. Still in the building where, when it was made, it was meant to be and visible by anyone who is there.
Well the memorial is or was in the side chapel to the right of the alter facing east, so it could go back in the same place.

alexander leadbetter is known to us nick and has been well researched by us i think he is actually buried at st barnabas but will check that out...its a long thread but when you have time you may find it of interest when we went on a mission 4 years ago with great success so dont give up:)

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/erdington-postmen-heroes-remembered.43365/
Thank you, I will look in to this, in the mean time I need to try and convert the excel in to PDF, hmmmm.

Back