• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

The

Hi Phil
My wife tells her father had use to play them up when they were youngsters.
When he took them shopping in Erdington he use send into Hazels to ask if they got any spare boxes

If I remember correctly, the coffins were made in New Street off the High Street. I used to go there for wood shavings for my Dads pidgeoin lofts, always seam funny how a 8 year old could look at coffins, but only there for the wood shavings.

Drums are quite significant to military or quasi military bands in addition to religious or tribal music.
For the most part they mark the time with their beating. Military and quasi military drums often carry an insignia which, naturally, has meaning to the owners of the drum.
Like anything that is of value it should be guarded or kept secure

Thank's for that. Yes I do understand the significance of Drums. Having spent 12+ years in the military. My Regimental drums were stolen/captured from the Russians (Sherwood Foresters 45/95 of foot). There are not many of us left who actually marched behind their own band. Last pre amalgamation parade was in Minden Germany.

My enquiry was about the Choir at St, Barnabas, 1957-1960. Any photos?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm posting in St Barnabas?

Some of the 70 year olds must of been in the choir!? about the late 50s. It was an all male choir. The organist was a Mr Brown! he also had connections with the YMCA at Erdington. I remember him from the sports hall.

There must be some records of payments made to choristers for weddings etc. Or from the YMCA in Erdington, regarding youth leaders. I just need to know I existed.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm posting in St Barnabas?

Some of the 70 year olds must of been in the choir!? about the late 60s. It was an all male choir.

There must be some records of payments made to choristers for weddings etc. I just need to know I existed.
Hi Phil
This is photo of my wedding at Erdington Parish Church 7th Feb 1959 don't have any choir details but I believe the late George Goldingay was a member of the choir he was a mate I later met working at the GEC Witton.
As you might have noticed from the date next month we will be celebrating 60 years of marriage our Diamond Anniversary.
The weather on this day 60 years ago was terrible it was thick freezing fog the trees looked like they had been sprayed silver it was like a Xmas grotto
Ray

Attachments

• 1959-Ray-&-Brenda's-Wedding.jpg
    1959-Ray-&-Brenda's-Wedding.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi Folks
I thought I would like to share thoughts for my Diamond Wedding Anniversary and have a laugh at my expense next months the picture above was the day.
The weather was shocking freezing fog but it had it's bright side the two pictures show my mother in laws sense of you ain't getting away with it,
The newspaper article wasn't true I can assure of that, and she didn't change me.
After this leg pulling, went off on honeymoon to Brighton we had a week in a boarding house 7 days Bed, Breakfast & evening meal and the bill £11. 13 shillings it wasn't plush but at least it gave us memories.
Thanks for share this momentous event

Ray & Brenda

Attachments

• Scan8.jpg
    Scan8.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
  • Scan40006.jpg
    Scan40006.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 27
Hi to you all. I have only just joined this group. This is my first post.
Born and lived at Number 5 Church Rd in 1947 (now a car park) until I left home to join the Army in 1965. At some time my Dad worked at Hazels Funeral Directors and he rented a house from them (5 Church Rd). I had an older brother William (Bill) (Billy) and a younger sister Lin (Lindsey) also an extended family who I know nothing about . I was in the choir at St Barnabas from about 1958 - 1960. The organist/choir master was a Mr Brown. I have contacted St Barnabas regarding any record about payments to Choristers for weddings, yes we got paid. But no records remain? I know Mr Brown was also a member of the YMCA youth team at the building near six ways. I attended Erdington CofE School on the High St and went on to Moor End Lane SM. I was in a couple of Wm Shakespeare plays in the late 50s early 60s and some performances with Erdington Operatic Society. I'm looking for any contacts from around that time or any Photos from class groups or EOS?. Thanks.

This is the worst news for me today. St. Barnabas was my anchor while I was growing up and I knew all the scenes from the stained glass windows in the church. Plus, all the important school services were held there. The marvellous Christmas- Nine Point Carol Services, Easter, Harvest Festivals,
Remembrance Days, Children's Anniversaries over the years. They are all precious memories and I hope that there will be plans to rebuild the Church. The High Street wouldn't be the same without the church.

Does anyone have any photos of the fire wreckage at all? Also, has anything been said about how the fire started?
Hello Jenny Ann, It is a long time since we were in touch. I h ave been reading about your time at St Barnabas and Discoveres etc. I was also at Fentham, Sunday School Discovers and Cradle rolled at The Baptist Church Erdington I believe you also wend to Moor End Primary.I have two photos of two classes in 1946.When were you there. Best wishes Jean (Fentham)

Hello Jenny Ann, It is a long time since we were in touch. I h ave been reading about your time at St Barnabas and Discoveres etc. I was also at Fentham, Sunday School Discovers and Cradle rolled at The Baptist Church Erdington I believe you also wend to Moor End Primary.I have two photos of two classes in 1946.When were you there. Best wishes Jean (Fentham)
Hello Jenny An What form were you in at Fentham Our last year there was with Miss Harper. My Year was when Jill Bradbury become Rose Queen. Have you any photos of that year.

Hello again Jenny Ann, It a long time since I was in touch with you. We were just as devastated as you when St. Barnabas was damaged. It is not the same inside . Does not feel like a church at all. Thankfully the bells are safe although I am not sure that the ringing quite the same.

Hi Fentham, sorry to inform you that Jenny Ann passed away a few months ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Jenny Ann She was was my main contact with Erdington and the schools we attended. But sad to say I never knew her name. Is there any way of finding out.

Unfortunately, not. I assume she was an Erdington girl from the conversations I had with her, but that is about as much as I know.

Unfortunately, not. I assume she was an Erdington girl from the conversations I had with her, but that is about as much as I know.
Many thanks. I will have to keep digging I know she went to Sunday School etc. with us but cannot remember her surname.

Fentham,

I have replied to this on the RIP JENNYANN thread.

Maurice :cool:
Many thanks. It must be her because I believe she have lived near Marsh Hill. It would have been a walk to Fentham Rd. Girls School . Also trek up to Erdington High St. to church. They were happy times. There were several of the girls and boys who lived in that area attended St. Barnabas. Thank you Maurice - did you go to St. Barnabas too.!! I myself lived in Chruch Rd. Erdington ,Jean

Hi Fentham, what years did you attend Fentham Rd Girls School?
I started at Fentham Sept. 1950 and left in 1954. Have been speaking to some old friends from church and school. We were all bellringers together. Our best man remembers Jennyann as she was his sisters friend He also went to Moor End Lane but went on the the seniors. My other friend remembers Jenny Ann because of herl lovely red hair although she says it was not as red as mine!! It was great to read Jenny ann memories of Erdington.

Last edited:
Back