• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
Such sad news today about the Church been all but burnt down.Hopfully it will rise from the ashes.
Personally, as a "non believer" I was quite surprised how saddened(spell?) I was when I saw the smoke and heard was had happen.
A wonderful buliding that was soon to make it's 150th year.

I feel the same mrs T. I'm not religious myself but I do hope they rebuild it. Erdington without the Church would not be the same.

St. Barnabas, Erdington

It really is so sad to hear of the destruction of this beautiful church, wihich had marvellous stained glass windows. I do hope it will be possible for it to rise from the ashes.

This is the worst news for me today. St. Barnabas was my anchor while I was growing up and I knew all the scenes from the stained glass windows in the church. Plus, all the important school services were held there. The marvellous Christmas- Nine Point Carol Services, Easter, Harvest Festivals,
Remembrance Days, Children's Anniversaries over the years. They are all precious memories and I hope that there will be plans to rebuild the Church. The High Street wouldn't be the same without the church.

Does anyone have any photos of the fire wreckage at all? Also, has anything been said about how the fire started?

Yes, it is very sad such a beautiful church too. I got married there in 1964. I'm sure they will rebuild it it after all it is the Parish Church.

Only went there once to a mates Wedding 1967 so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Alf for the link. I imagine there is very little news available at this time
since it was early this morning when the fire started. I hope it isn't arson. Could be electrical. We'll have to wait and see.

Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to an old school and church friend who lived just off the High Street, Erdington. I hadn't been in touch with her for quite a long time. She will be very sorry I know.

Thanks for that info Mariew. There seems to be a lot of arson fires around these days. Nothing is sacred to people who want to do harm and in this case perhaps to Erdington Parish. This fire will sadden so many Erdington residents I know.

Just come back from "up the road" (children's had swimming lesson at the baths). Had to go and have a look.
It was horrible.
As you stand on the High Street looking at the Church, the left hand side of the tower is just the walls standing.
All the roof's have gone.
All the windows have shattered.
At the far left hand side you can see straight through.

My 9 year old daughter said she felt like crying....I agreed with her.:(

The BBC were filming there too.
Firecrews were still hosing down.
Church Road closed off.

Thanks Mrs. T. for that very sad description of what remains of St. Barnabas.
It is very sad and I admit I have shed a few tears. I am very worried now about other churches and I am sure that they will have checked their security. I can't bear to think of any churches being vandalised in this way.

The e-mails have been flying in to my mail box this morning. It's dreadful and upsetting to say the least.

Its been on the news they will not know for sure if it was arson for a few days, I hope it wasn't arson but if it was and they catch the culprits I hope they go to prison for a long time.

I beieve the organ was rather famous because some years ago they staged the battle of the organs with the American Carlo Curley on his instrument and a local organist on the church organ competing against each other. I think it is a Harris organ from memory.

I saw the report on Central News tonight. I was absolutely shocked. My husband and I were married there in December 1979. I just cried when I saw the ruins and the smoke. My husband always has a 'moan' about having to pay £2 towards the cost of the bell-ropes. It will take a lot more than that to repair them now. I just hope that something is able to be recovered from the debris.

I dont know what I expected but when I saw this on Central news I was really saddened to see such devastation. If it is arson they need to be punished most severely, but no doubt they will get their wrists slapped and told not to do it again!
Is nothing sacred anymore?

Frothy you have a pm.

This is the Birmingham Mail link about the fire at St. Barnabas. It has video which is heart wrenching. However, it also has a photo of the stained glass window over the Altar. The one that most people will remember if they were regular church goers. Not long ago I found a website that explained the stories behind the stained glass windows in many English churches but can't find it now. St. Barnabas, Erdington was on that site if I remember correctly.

https://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.u...objectid=19895289&siteid=50002-name_page.html

Saint Barnabas

I ain't a religious guy. Born in Saltley, raised in Pype Hayes. Erdington- me old stompin' ground. I spent many an afternoon in that churchyard as a young man- when the pubs shut at 2:30! (afternoon time, for them that ain't edumicated!) Used to read books there, just 'chill' as it's called now- we called it sobering up! A walk around the churchyard, just pondering the souls there and who and what and why they were. Never did no harm. The b******s who have done this ('scuse the French, I know you'll understand) 'cause it seems it was arson ought to be put in the stocks. Then we'll see how tough they aren't. My thoughts are with St Barnabas and the congregation. No need for it.

Back