• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Can anyone tell me when the organ pipes were relocated from the choir area (see page 16) and where exactly were they relocated too?

Alan

I note that you have a photograph of the war memorial that was destroyed in the fire. I am currently researching my great uncle harold Edward Pitt who was killed in the Great War in 1915. His name appeared on this memorial. Is there a possibility of seeing your photograph please?

Alan

I note that you have a photograph of the war memorial that was destroyed in the fire. I am currently researching my great uncle harold Edward Pitt who was killed in the Great War in 1915. His name appeared on this memorial. Is there a possibility of seeing your photograph please?
If it is of any help the photo below is on the forum's Image Host, I think I can see your great uncle's name at the bottom of the middle column.
St_Barnabas_Erdington_011.jpg

The above image digitally enhanced to make names clearer
StBarnabasErdington_FullX.jpg

The Memorial Roll digitally enhanced to make all names readable.
StBarnabasErdingtonMemorialXWW1.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for your prompt help in this matter.This photograph rounds off many years of research into my great uncle. I always thought his name would have appeared on a memorial in the area in which he lived before he was called up. I was wrong !!

Hi oldMohawk,
I have been researching the men that are commemorated on this memorial. I have a community on 'lives of the First World War' :-https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1059 At the moment I only have a photo of the top part of the memorial. Please may I have permission to use your photograph of the memorial on the men's life stories?

Many thanks,

Sharon

Hi Sharon - The photo is not actually mine, it is on the forum server and I just made it appear in my post with an image link. The forum name of the member who posted the original is 'subotone'. You can find him in the members list and probably send a forum private message to him. I would think using the photo for the purposes you describe would not be a problem.
oldmohawk

a bit late phil but thanks for the photo of the war memorial that was inside st barnabas...i have never seen it before

lyn

Had a play around with the image to try highlight the names on the memorial. Not great but might help some searching for ancestors. Shall copy this and the original image to the "Lest we forget" section. Viv.
image.jpeg

Two interior views of the church before the fire. The first is c1910 from a magic lantern slide. Afraid no date for the second. Did any of this survive the fire ? Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This photo is opposite St Barnabs, I think it in the 1970s?

View attachment 121539

The photograph was taken by my late uncle. I think there are others I can post.

In fact I think I posted one, sometime ago, of a parade of Scouts marching past St Barnabas, and from the same period. Some one actually recognized themselves, but I can’t find the post. May be under a different thread, so I will post again if I can locate the picture.

From a slide and needs some work on it, but the faces can be recognised. Again I think in the 1970s.

I must add that my uncle lost his right arm during the War, but could still hold the camera steady!

ant sep 36c.jpg

As I mentioned, someone shown in the picture actually recognised himself. But I cannot locate the post.

SAT44b1000.jpg

They're absolutely great Pedro. An excellent record. Thanks for letting us see them.

Do you know if the Girl Guides, Brownies and Scouts featured in the photos/slides were groups attached to St Barnabas ? Viv.

Back