• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Hi Frothy: Thanks for posting those photos of St. Barnabas from yesterday. Looks like work is really progressing. The second photo looks like the framework going up for the atrium.

Hi Frothy: Thanks for posting those photos of St. Barnabas from yesterday. Looks like work is really progressing. The second photo looks like the framework going up for the atrium.

Yes it's getting a move on now. I'll try and put photos on each week.

Thanks again for the photos Frothy. Looks like it's progressing at a great rate now.

Glad to see everybody taking an interest on our progress on site,Don't forget the open day on June 18th,All welcome to come and have a look round.

Glad to see everybody taking an interest on our progress on site,Don't forget the open day on June 18th,All welcome to come and have a look round.

thanks for the heads up re the open day rob...

cheers froth for the pics...looks to be moving along nicely now...

thanks for the heads up re the open day rob...

cheers froth for the pics...looks to be moving along nicely now...

The trees stop me taking a full photo.
I will certainly be going to the open day on the 18th. If anyone fancies meeting me there and then a walk to the Lad after sounds good.

Photo taken today 14/6/11
f9b8382b-orig.jpg

thanks for the update froth..i was in the high street yesterday and thought how well the church was coming along...didnt have me camera with me though..

lyn

I was born in Erdington, I was christened at St Barnabus, I got married there. my children were christened there. My parents were married there, members of my family were married and christened there, We used to have some school assemblies there, Brownies and Girl Guide parades, I felt so sad when the fire happened,
The church is coming on so well now, Cant wait to see it completed. It will be as beautiful as before. just like my memories

I like the mixture of new and old. The church will become part of the community again, something it's needed for years.

Glad to see you all keeping an eye on the progress of St B's as it's now been christened by all the guys on site,Hopefully we'll have an open day soon and you'll all be able to see the progress to date,For everybody on site this is a fantastic build and we can't wait to hand it over to the local community,Enjoy.

In my opinion: It's a blooming eyesore now! It would have been better left as a shell like the old Coventry Cathedral..

zzf001...there is a saying...you cant make a omelette without cracking a few eggs and of course it does not look too good with the scaff and covers on it but a job such as this takes time...down the years this city has lost many of our fine churches and i for one think its great to see such efforts being made to restore st barnabas..maybe you will change your mind when you see it fully restored and think it all worthwhile..

lyn

As it's been said before on here.. if we all agreed on everything, life would be boring.
No one wanted that fire, but before it the church was basically just a tea room with signs outside inviting people for a cuppa. When was the last time you saw a wedding there?
It was no use trying to put it back to it original state, the beautiful windows and the organ had gone. I think it was the only option to rebuild it as it is, a mixture of old and new to bring it into the 21st century. Erdington as got to be a better place with the church then without it.
PS
Even I think the roof is too out of proportion for the church. But I can live with that:peaceful:

Hi fellow members - I am wondering whether the parish records etc for this Church were destroyed in the fire or are these available elsewhere. I believe my adoptive grandparents may have been married here in 1915/16. I have not purchased a marriage certificate for them as yet and presumably this would help but am not sure of the maiden name; the grooms' name being Smith! Any advice would be appreciated. KINS

Back