• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Hi jennyann, yes I was pleased. Also I had a long chat with the Reverand Freda Evans who was extremely helpful. She's since emailed me to say that they hope to invite families to visit the graves on Sat 16th April.

Hi David, do you know if this invite will be for graves in a particular part of the churchyard or for all graves around the Church? I am waiting to visit one that is behind the hoarding at the moment - but it is on the side not affected by the building work - other than the builders are using the area as storage for their materials so it is not accessible. I spoke to Rev'd Evans last year when I phoned to check if my ancestors grave would be affected - I too found her most helpful.

Hi Froth, by gravemarkers do you mean the headstones? If so it could be because untill they move them they would have no idea of what effect it was going to have on the grave - the earth could really sink down etc. especially as they already have trouble with subsidence in parts of the cemetery. Workers falling into graves while removing stones may be great for a comedy sketch but not so good if it really happened watched by the public.

Point taken Pollypops, but not only screens but also a small JCB. I know you're going to say "Gravestones are heavy". My suspicious mind I suppose.

If/are they are extending the Church out towards the High St, would some of the Graves be covered over ?

Hi pollypops, Freda said that they will invite all relatives who have a grave with ancestors buried. I imagine it will be confirmed on their website and possibly in the local papers. If I'm the first to see it I'll post.

Dave M, see post #60 for a link to the planning details which show the graves affected. On the High St side (which is where "my" grave is), only if there are any right next to the wall would they be affected. I was assured by the builders that any (on the High St side) which are outside their white plastic covering will not be affected other than to re-position headstones etc which may be wonky.

Thanks David, hopefully I will get an invite as they have all my contact details but please could you let me know if you hear/see anything just incase I don't.

I have just had a look around the graves from the Church down to the entrance in Moor End Lane and have noticed that a great many of the memorials have a white paint mark and a little white sticker attached.... anyone know what that is supposed to indicate?

In the local paper, St Barnabas, locals will have a chance to see into the empty building on February 19th 1000 and 1400

thanks for the update dave...such a sad sight indeed..the wonderful stained glass windows can never be replaced:(

lyn

Been a bit under the weather this last week but I did notice a fairly lengthy e-mail from Reverend Freida at St. Barnabas. It's about the stained glass windows. I will read it through and let you know what the Vicar
has said.

Back