• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Asaph’s Church

rowan

Born a Brummie
Can anyone please tell me where about the parish of St Asaph is in Birmingham?

I have an address from the 1891 census 8 back of 35 Bow Street and I have no idea of

what district is!!

Thank you
:)

Rowan, St Asaph is, or was Birmningham central, just north of Highgate Not sure if it still there.

On a couple of Census's, some ancestors of my wife are shown living in Bell Barn Road, Parish of St Asaph.

Two questions:
1) I found a site that stated St Asaph's was on the Corner of Great Colmore Street and Latimer Street.
I can find Gt. Colmore Street on Autoroute, which joins Bell Barn Road, but cannot find Latimer Street

2) Is this area considered to be in the District of King's Norton as I've found several family members born or married in this District looking on FreeBMD

Birmingham AtoZ, Gt Colmore Street is of LEE BANK MIDDLEWAY and runs to BRISTOL STREET.
See page 73 H5. BIRMINGHAM B 15.
Hope this is of some Help.
The only other ST ASAPH Iknow of is in NORTH WALES on the way to RHYL.
Regards ASTON

aston said:
Birmingham AtoZ, Gt Colmore Street is of LEE BANK MIDDLEWAY and runs to BRISTOL STREET.
See page 73 H5. BIRMINGHAM B 15.
Hope this is of some Help.
The only other ST ASAPH Iknow of is in NORTH WALES on the way to RHYL.
Regards ASTON
Thanks, I know where Gt Colmore St. is, but can't find Latimer St.
St. Asaph's was demolished according to the website I looked at.

It seems clear that Latimer Street no longer exists but interestingly (maybe) ;) there is a "Latimer Gardens" in the same district - B15

Probably disappeared when St Asaph's was demolished!

So, the second part of my post
Is/was this area within the 'King's Norton' district?
Neil

Neil, my grandparents married at Edgbaston Parish Church, St. Bartholomews in 1897 at that time Edgbaston was part of Kings Norton.

Hi. Just a shot of St Asaphs with Latimer Street on the right....my grandparents were married here c1912 and most of the families were based around Latimer St and Gt Colmore St.

Neil my mother was born in 1919 Creooe st of Bell Barn Lane her birth cert states her address as Kings Norton

According to my A-Z, Cregoe Street comes off Great Colmore Street,which comes off Bell Barn Road I believe this use to be part of the Kings Norton District. It is a recent A-Z.

Does any one have a photo of st Asaphs Church, it was located in Great Colmore st. Thanks Robert.

I put a photo of St Asaphs on this site a while back,if you want a proper photo then I think you will find one available at your Central Library which is where I got mine from....best of luck

Back