• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Asaph’s Church

Robert,

Mom lived at 89 Cregoe Street, and she was born in 1917, so very likely knew your mom, being almost the same age. She was there with her adoptive parents, Robert and Florrie Soule.

Ann

Robert, Pity my mom isn't alive to ask, I bet she would have remembered the names. And she would have known your mom for sure. She went to school at St. Thomas's. Expect your mom did too.

Ann

My gt. grandfather lived in Bell Barn Road at 293 in 1891 - I thought it was near the city centre as it's in Market Hall Ward but I don't know where Edgebaston stretched to, probably further than I thought.
Sheri

Hello,I was born in Bell Barn rd in 1945 which was Edgbaston Birmingham .I have traced my gr.gr.gr.grandfather to Cregoe st ,I went to St Thomas's school.These interesting question and answer sites bring me the most wonderful memories and recall a happy childhood ,thankyou to everyone who gives their time and energy to this site .Mary

My Great Grandfather and Grand Mother were married in St. Asaph's Church in 1920. My father grew up in Latimer Street post 1920. He told me it had been demolished, that is the street and the church. I'm looking for anyone who is connected to the Bennett family who lived in Irving Street and later at 33 Latimer Street. They are registered as living there in 1911 but moved from Bilston prior to that date. Other surnames, Williams (Birmingham and Tipton), Smart (Tipton) and Cope (Ettingshall, Wolverhampton).

Hi Carol

Christen names relating to Bennett are William, Myra, Florence Laura(my grandmother) John E, Joseph and George. All residing in Latimer street in 1911. The surname Martin also rings a bell for some reason. Do you know when Latimer Street was demolished?

Hi Vanessa,
Lattimer Street was as far as i know demolished in the 1960`s,i know Great Colmore street was.
My Grandmother Elizabeth Bennett who was born in Oldbury married
Joseph Martin,Elizabth`s parents lived in Tipton.
I will Pm you.
Carol

Latimer St was included in Kellysin 1964 (though no houses were listed), but had gone by the 1966 edition
Mike

Hi Robert

Thanks for the tip about the search engine photos. St Asaph's was a glorious church, many thanks.

Vanessa

Hi Carol

Our Bennetts could be related, another branch of the family. The family did live in Bilston at some stage before moving to Irving and Latimer Street. There are also links to Tipton. Do you know if any of your Bennett's were Butchers or Grocers?

Thanks
Vanessa

hi i've just noticed this thread...i am trying to research bennett's of brum...

william bennett married sarah hastings they had child charles bennett who married sarah? they had child joseph bennett who married ellen cox they had children harry,ellen,ethel,joseph,elsie...please tell me this sounds familiar ;O)

sam xxx

Hi

I do have a William Bennett but he married Eliza Ward and lived in Dudley (1874). Eliza died in child birth and I don't know if William senior remarried, maybe he did? In 1897 their son William married Myra Cope of Hawthornes, West Bromwich. They moved to Irving Street (1911 census) and later around the corner to Latimer Street (1920's). Their children were Florence, Myra, William, John, Joseph and George.

Not sure it's the same link but let me know dates if it you think it will help.

Regards
Vanessa Leighton

Great to hear about Latimer Street. My mother and her family lived there in 1918. My parents were married in St Catherines, the Horse fair.

Names I am researching Fitzharris, Pigott, Moore and Thorpe

Hello there, would anyone out there know the Soule family (or indeed the Walkers)? Robert and Florrie Soule lived at 89 Cregoe Street all their married lives. My nan Phyllis Soule was born in 1909 and married Bernard Walker of 14 Florence Street. Bernard and Phyllis married in 1930 then lived at 20 Wynn Street and then 110 Latimer Street.

There was a post from 1998 from Ann B - her mother Peggy was adopted by Robert and Florrie. If anyone has any information I would be interested to hear from you.

thanks
Janet Walker

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread (EDIT: Oooh, not as old as I thought; I hadn't noticed page 2!), but I was searching for information on St Asaph's church, where my husband's grandmother was baptised. Post No 10, above, mentions attaching a photograph of the church, but it doesn't seem to open - maybe because too long has elapsed since it was posted. Any chance of you posting it again, mikeflan?

The father, in this case, had a draper's shop at 196/197 Bristol Street in the 1871 census. His name was Tudor Davis. I suspect he may have been in partnership with his brother Matthew at some point; I have found a record of their partnership being dissolved in 1874. (Tudor Davis then seems to have run a series of Birmingham pubs.)
Matthew Davis appears in Kelly's 1876 as a "linen draper" at the same address, and is still at 196/197 Bristol Street in the 1881 census.
However, the 1891 census gives Matthew, still a draper, at 100/102 Bristol Street.
Now, I wonder if he physically moved his business closer into town, or whether the properties on Bristol Street might have been renumbered - so he stayed at the same premises but the numbers changed?

If anyone had a photograph showing Davis's drapers, wouldn't that be wonderful!! Wishful thinking :))

In the 1880 a lot of streets were renumbered for consecutive (1,2,3..) to odd one side, even the other. this happened to Bristol St netween 1882 and 1883. The Davis Bros (which is how the shop was listed in the directory stayed in the same place , only the number changed

Last edited:
Back