• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Anne's Church Cato Street Duddeston

M

MERRELL68

Does anyone have any info on this church, My Great Grandfather was Married Here 1873. I cant find any online records

Thanks
Steve

Sheronb, Thank you,
So it was relatively new when they got married..
interesting

Found a little more
48. ST. ANNE, Duddeston (Cato St.), a red brick building designed by J. G. Dunn in the Gothic style and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and bellcot, was consecrated in 1869. (fn. 12) Three of the four bells, dated 1650, 1638 and 1740, were brought from St. Mary's, Moseley, in 1874. (fn. 13) In 1869 a parish was assigned out of St. Matthew's, Duddeston, the living, which became a vicarage in 1874, being in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 14) The church was closed in 1951, and the benefice was united with that of St. Matthew, Duddeston. (fn. 15) A mission room in Great Francis Street was licensed for public worship from 1908 to 1926. (fn. 16)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a good little site for looking up churches in Bham, couldnt see anything else online abt your St Annes though.

St_Anne_s_Cato_St_Duddeston.jpg
gigapan-canucks-g7.html
St Anne's Cato St Duddeston, designed by J.G.Dunn consecrated1869 closed 1951.built of of red brick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cromwell, great picture and a great idea of the housing.

st johns missionary church

hi all any one no of st john church that was i sang there in the church choir in the 1960s the choir master was a mr eric godfrey it was at the bottom of inkerman st nechells he also played the organ for the church thank you mary x

Have a wedding certificate for 1898 on which the church looks like St Etwens
I have tried to look for this church (Google) as it is the first time I have seen it, but no joy.

St Agathas, Sparkbrook was built in 1901. Later than the wedding took place. I have looked for St Edwin, there isn't one. Nothing like St Etwens in Duddeston, there is St Oswald in Bordesley, built in 1897, and St Edward in Hockley built 1896.

These are all the Duddeston churches

St Ann built 1870
St Laurence built 1868
St Matthew built 1840

Have you tried looking on Family Search, if you are lucky it might give you the name.

Back