• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Andrews Church Bordesley Green

I wonder...it certainly had the look of a vicarage, and it did look Victorian.
I was christened in 1954, and my nephew in 1963.

maria

Re: St Andrews Church Bordesley

This is St Andrews Vicarage, was St Andrews Church big enough to have it's own graveyard?

Attachments

• Bordesley St Andrews Vicarage.jpg
    Bordesley St Andrews Vicarage.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 67

I'm not sure. In my memory it's a narrower house, but it was a long time ago! It's a nice picture, though.

Pehaps the church didn't have a graveyard, that's a thought. Wasn't it rather crammed in among the houses?

maria

This picture from 1910 certainly doesn't show it crammed in

Volunteers_at_St__Andrews_Church__1910.jpg

Yes Mike, but would they allow all and sundry to go digging through a graveyard just to what I assume is lay a new service? Also Mike there are no burial records listed for St Andrews Bordesley.

You have a point Phil I had assumed that the picture was from when the spire was removed, but, on checking find (assuming date is 1910) it was 16 years after the spires removal

Hi all , When I went to saint Andrews school/Ada road, 1965/70. Bordesley Green, and Bordesley were two different places, though close together, so is st andrews church bordesley green, a different one to the one that was on st andrews road bordesley. thanks Michael.

++++++++++Billy Pond School of Ballroom Dancing1.jpg+++++St Giles Church billy ponds 1938.jpgThere was a church in Green Lane close to the vicarage ,St Giles , but I don't remember it being a church . It was Billy Ponds from when I recall it , here it is in both guises

There was never a graveyard there and regarding the photo of the volunteers working in the churchyard in 1902 I would say they were probably digging footings. In 1983 my husband purchased the church ground to build four factory units (we named the building Angel Works) On the site was a large scout hut and viewing the original deeds recently I see that there was also another building listed as 'school' though that wasn't there when we cleared the site. We managed to repair and retain the original iron railings around the property

Hi everyone, I don't suppose anyone remembers if there was a memorial plaque for those who fell in WWI inside the church do they?

Thanks,
Kirsty

I lived at St Andrews Church in the 60s, my Dad was the verger and my Mum the caretaker. We lived in the grounds in a big house with another couple in the other half. There was not a graveyard here. My brother had loads of photos of the church, sadly he passed away in 2009 and I don't know where the photos are as he lived in Australia.

I'm not sure about your gruesome question but I wonder if the square house you remember was the vicarage which was on Green Lane. I think it dated back to Victorian times and it was set back from the road with railings at the front. When were you (and your nephew) christened?
There was a house in the grounds, we lived there when I was a child. My Dad wilf was the verger and my Mum, Clare was the caretaker.There was no graveyard there.

Yes, the chap with the moustache is indeed Rev Richards. He was my great great grandfather. His beloved wife Amy died tragically young from cancer. I have a beautiful painting of a design for a stained glass window at St Andrews in her memory. I would love to know what happened to that window - my great uncle was offered it when the church was demolished in 1985 but could find nowhere to store it. I would love to know if someone else took the window and if so, where it is now. It would be nice to find the owner and tell them the story behind it too. So if anyone knows - please let me know! Thank you.
I got married in that church in 1979 . I remember the stained glass windows beautiful testament to your wife .

I'm very confused. My grandparents were married in St Andrew's Church, Aston in 1917. Is this the church which features in this discussion? My grandmother's place of residence is given as Church House, St Andrew's Road. I've no idea why because her parents lived in nearby Rupert Street.
I also have a photo of what I think is a Church Group which includes my grandfather, grandmother and future step-grandmother. I think the man at the back may be my great grandfather who was a church organist, but the entrance where they are standing seems much too fancy to belong to the church in the photos on the thread.
Any thoughts, please?

Attachments

• Amy, Frank and church group.jpg
    Amy, Frank and church group.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Frank and Amy wedding.jpg
    Frank and Amy wedding.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Frank and Amy's marriage certificate.png
    Frank and Amy's marriage certificate.png
    780.9 KB · Views: 28
I am not aware of ta church in Aston called St. Andrews (there is one in Handsworth.) Also the only St. Andrew's Road I know about is not in Aston but in Bordesley close to Birmingham City Football Club (their ground was always known as St. Andrew's o me). The church in this discussion, is the St. Andrew's in Bordesley, Birmingham. I maybe wrong about their not being a church in Aston though.

There is a marriage certificate further back in this discussion which shows the Registration District as Aston but the marriage did take place in St. Andrew's, Bordesley.

Correct! He was my grandfather, John Digby was my father.
I am a new member on this forum and immediately recognised the earlier photos. Amy and J H Richards' second wife Gladys were both sisters to my grandfather Wddyn Evans. Gladys came to my wedding in 1975!

Does anybody recognise this? The inscription is very worn, but reads " To Miss Gladys H Frazier Presented by the members of the vicarage girls class St Andrews Bordesley In grateful recognition of 9 years devoted work in their midst. July 14 1909" my grandmother Gladys married Wddyn Evans on that date, and the salver is included in the list of wedding presents in the newspaper report of their wedding (which I have mislaid, unfortunately) . According to my record, they were actually married at St Mary's, Acocks Green. Gladys' father was William Henry Frazier of Frazier Bros, provision merchants.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_143859.jpg
    IMG_20211023_143859.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211023_144137.jpg
    IMG_20211023_144137.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 15
hi tricia could you tell us what sort of info you are looking for as you seem to know that the salver was gifted to your grandmother

lyn

I am a new member on this forum and immediately recognised the earlier photos. Amy and J H Richards' second wife Gladys were both sisters to my grandfather Wddyn Evans. Gladys came to my wedding in 1975!
I remember Aunt Gladys well! She was always very smartly dressed.

Thought you might also enjoy this, sent to me by my mother; family rumour had it that the man at the top was Revd J H Richards, but that may just be a family joke. It's also possible it may be Alfred Douglass who was a great friend of the family. He trained as a lighthouse engineer (his father was James Nicholas Douglass, architect of the fourth Eddison Lighthouse).

Back