• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Andrews Church Bordesley Green

just wondering if this is the same church that my gt gt gt grandfather married at in 1855..i think it is..says on the marr cert..st andrews church in the new parish of st andrews bordesley...

lyn

I would think so Lyn. My grandparents were married there in 1904 - the cert says 'Marriage solemnised at St Andrew's Church in the Parish of St Andrew, Bordesley, in the County of Warwick'. That's nearly 50 years after your cert so the parish wouldn't still be new! John

I would think so Lyn. My grandparents were married there in 1904 - the cert says 'Marriage solemnised at St Andrew's Church in the Parish of St Andrew, Bordesley, in the County of Warwick'. That's nearly 50 years after your cert so the parish wouldn't still be new! John

thank you jukebox..i thought it was that one...thanks david for the pics

lyn

will scan and post my cert it lovely to see them.....if the marriage is at st andews church it should say in the parish of bordesley..

lyn

Nick - are you sure that is St Andrews and not St Aidans? St Aidans is now All Saints in Small Heath which at the time was in 'the vast parish of Aston'. This church is only a few yards from the addresses of the bride and groom as shown on the certificate. The right hand side of your cert isn't shown - was Francis Pearse the Vicar or a curate? See https://www.allsaintsonline.co.uk/information/history/history.html

You're right jukebox it is St Aidans and Francis P Pearse is on the certificate, well spotted:encouragement:

Nick

I understand that it was demolished in 1985. My great grandfather was vicar there at one time (Rev John Harold Richards - the chap with the big moustache in some of the other photos!)

Re: St Andrews Church Bordesley

Yes, the chap with the moustache is indeed Rev Richards. He was my great great grandfather. His beloved wife Amy died tragically young from cancer. I have a beautiful painting of a design for a stained glass window at St Andrews in her memory. I would love to know what happened to that window - my great uncle was offered it when the church was demolished in 1985 but could find nowhere to store it. I would love to know if someone else took the window and if so, where it is now. It would be nice to find the owner and tell them the story behind it too. So if anyone knows - please let me know! Thank you.

Yes, the chap with the moustache is indeed Rev Richards. He was my great great grandfather. His beloved wife Amy died tragically young from cancer. I have a beautiful painting of a design for a stained glass window at St Andrews in her memory. I would love to know what happened to that window - my great uncle was offered it when the church was demolished in 1985 but could find nowhere to store it. I would love to know if someone else took the window and if so, where it is now. It would be nice to find the owner and tell them the story behind it too. So if anyone knows - please let me know! Thank you.

hi emma..good to welcome rev john richards gt gt grandaugher to the forum...what a shame that there was no one in the family who could have saved the stained glass window from the church...i can only think that it was demolished along with the rest of the church but if anyone knows different please let us know..would love to see the painting you have of it though..

:fat:lyn

Last edited:

I will see if I can take a photo of the window and post here... it may jog someone's memory as well. Even if someone has a photo of the window, I would love to see it!

Back