• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Andrews Church Bordesley Green

All these messages were a while ago now, but I have been doing some research into the Rev J. H. Richards in the British Newspaper Archive, which may be of interest. He took over as vicar at St Andrews in 1900, when the church was practically falling down, and the congregation numbered around 20. He mustered volunteers from around the parish to restore it, which included demolishing the spire and rebuilding/ refurbishing both the exterior and the interior. It was re-dedicated in 1908. The picture of diggers may be from when they were building what sounds like a new church hall. By the time he moved parishes in 1915, the congregation was thriving. He was heaped with praise for all his hard work! He might only be related to me by marriage, but I am very proud of him.

I have found reference in a Birmingham newspaper to a processional cross being dedicated as a memorial to the Rev J H Richards at St Andrews Bordesley in October 1964. Does anyone know what would have happened to it when the church was demolished?

The missionary pageant in 1909. Viv.

View attachment 150741
My family lived in Wydcliff Road for generations and all my family attended attended the church from 1920 to 1973. I was in St Andrews cubs then Scouts from 1959 to 1968. I do not think this photograph is of St Andrews but it is St Giles. The top of the building was rented to Billy Ponds Dance Club.
Both the churches were looked after by the same Vicar. St Giles was in Green lane just up from the Vicarage.

Was that the 131st St Andrews ? I was in the cubs there, but didn't transfer to the scouts. Perhaps just a bit earlier than you.
Andrew.
Hello Andrew. That id correct
Was that the 131st St Andrews ? I was in the cubs there, but didn't transfer to the scouts. Perhaps just a bit earlier than you.
Andrew.
Hello Andrew. That is correct it was the 131st. My three sisters, all older than me, were in the Brownies and Guides. I also had a brother who you may have known, John Field, was in the Cubs and Senior Scouts. I also became a Cub Instructor and the woman running the cubs at the time was called Doris.

In the early eighties I went back to St Andrews church to visit the scout hut and to return a Best Scout at camp trophy and a shield which I won 1967/68. I was saddened to find the whole church grounds totally decimated. The church was locked up, the windows broken and the whole site looked like a bomb had hit it. The Scout hut and church hall were dilapidated and roofless and even the Alms houses were in ruins. It was a very sad and undignified end to a brilliant community venue.

I learned the Scouts, the Guides, the Brownies and the Cubs had all moved into the hall at St Giles on Green Lane. Sadly there was only a handful of Scouts there but I handed the trophy's to them.

The visit broke my heart really. It had been a wonderful place and held many happy memories. Ah well that's progress I suppose.

hi peter i think a lot of us feel as you did when we go back to places we once loved when growing up..i feel the same when i visit the areas i grew up only to find most of it has been demolished having said that we do have our memories and if lucky we have old photographs...you hang onto your memories they cant take that away from you

lyn

Back